macbook memory upgrade

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PA
where is a good/cheap place to order macbook memory from for a US user?

also, apple recommends that both modules be the same capacity, i would like to get a 1GB module and use the 256MB in the other and that way be able to upgrade to 2GB in the future if i wanted to. any thoughts on using 1.25GB?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I would go with OWC or Datamem from bankshot's link...they both have great reputations and terrific prices. Crucial has become overpriced; Apple always has been.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PA
bankshot said:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM

I just updated this yesterday to add a bunch of info. :D Also, don't forget to test your memory after you get it.
thanks. i was looking at datamem before and they seem to have the cheapest price at $96. thats a pretty big difference from $112 so is there going to be noticeable performace differences? you would think just go with the cheapest place but im skeptical..

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
chairguru22 said:
thanks. i was looking at datamem before and they seem to have the cheapest price at $96. thats a pretty big difference from $112 so is there going to be noticeable performace differences? you would think just go with the cheapest place but im skeptical..
That $96 RAM is a 1 GB "kit"...it's two 512 MB sticks that are matched. You're looking for a single 1 GB stick.

Check here. (MacBooks and MacBooks Pros use the same RAM.) They've got the 1 GB stick for $119 and a cheaper one for $92. As you can see, the EconoRAM has only a one-year warranty. As long as it works, there's really no difference between the two sticks. But RAM can fail, so if the cheap RAM fails after a year, you're out of luck. You have to decide for yourself whether the $27 premium for the higher priced stick is worth it or if you'd be willing to suck up the full price of replacement if the EconoRAM dies in 13 months.