Macbook Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shuffles, Jan 22, 2008.

1. shuffles macrumors 6502

shuffles

Im about to buy my forst mac and im going to either get the macbook or the macbook air. I was wondering, if i get the macbook, i was going to buy ram from crucial.com/uk. Can u buy 4gb of ram for the macbook anywhere on the net?? I know you can do it from the apple site but thats way to expensive and they only offer 2gb of ram on crucial.com.

Im a college student so im looking for a light enough laptop and thats why i was thinking of getting the macbook air, but if i was to get the normal macbook i was going to get one with the 250gb hard drive and then upgrade to 4gb of ram myself.

ALthough, i really like the macbook air...especially the led screen. The hard drive is way bigger on the normal macbook but i was thinking of getting Apple TV anyway so i suppose that wouldn't matter too much.

Anyone know where to buy 4gb of ram for a macbook? Also, im from ireland.

Cheers,

Shuffles.

2. Golcondio macrumors member

If you look on top of the page, there is a yellow-colored area with some guides: one of those is a Understanding Intel RAM. If you click on it, you can see a section called "Buying RAM for Intel Macs", which holds all the info you asked for: personally, I'd go for Crucial (I did) or OWG.

3. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Cant find the yellow bit at the top with the guides

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

5. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Cool, cheers. How did u find the 4gb on the website? All i cud find was either 1 or 2! Cheers again. Also, is it easy to install or shud i get someone to do it...i dont know much about computers.

6. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

7. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Just quickly...wat do you guys think i shud get...the air or a tricked out macbook and also by putting in the new ram will it void my warranty??

8. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Can you upgrade the memory on the macbook air to 4gb????

9. Golcondio macrumors member

1) What do you think you will be doing with a laptop?
    2) How much can you spend?
    3) Installing RAM is one of the only things you can do with your Mac that won't void your warranty

10. TooFastForLove macrumors member

TooFastForLove

Tricked out Macbook. And no, installing ram (or a HD for that matter) will NOT void your warranty.

11. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

Using the laptop for college but i was tricking it out so that it cost the same as the macbook air n then i was gonna make a decision on which one i would buy. The only thing stopping me from getting the normal macbook is the screen.....its not that good.

12. LangleyAls macrumors member

seriously mate, wait a week or two before you buy anything...

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

No, it comes with and is maxed out to 2gig. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard.

I would go with the macbook unless you really really really need portability.

14. Golcondio macrumors member

What do you mean by that? It's not a LED backlit, of course, but I find it's an excellent screen in its own right...

15. shuffles thread starter macrumors 6502

shuffles

What i meant when i said the screen on the macbook wasnt that good was because i used to have a laptop with 1920x1200 screen so the led screen on the Air is better thwn the one on the normal macbook....thats all, didnt mean to offend u dude.

Langley Als, why did u say to wait a week or 2??????????????

16. Golcondio macrumors member

Why should I be offended? I don't even own a Macbook (my refurb MBP is due to arrive TODAY!!!), I just pointed out that it has an excellent, albeit small screen; I'm not sure I would like the MBA's screen, it might (just MIGHT) be too small for me to work with the native resolution...

17. LangleyAls macrumors member

there is a high likelihood that apple has something up its sleeve with a new MacBook and MacBook Pro being brought out in the next couple of weeks..
    Buying one now only to find that a new model comes out a week later would just be horrible!

18. Golcondio macrumors member

I'm not sure about the Macbook update, but the MBP update is long due...
    I won't find it horrible if the new MBP comes out right after I get mine: I wouldn't want to buy it new and I'm more than satisfied with the specs as they are now :)

19. alanswalker macrumors member

The cheapest place i found for 2gb x2 ram for mac book was play.com free delivery at £27 per 2gb stick.

excellent deal