Macbook Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 10lbMoustache, Mar 29, 2009.

1. 10lbMoustache macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my 2006 Macbook to a new 500gb hard drive and 2gb memory.

My only worry is that I didn't use two 1 gig memory cards but just one 2 gig memory card. Will that really have any adverse affects to my macbook?

Also anything I before late 2007 macbooks I believe can only take 2gb and afterwards its the 4 so I don't know if I could put in that second 2gb.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Late 2006 MacBooks can take 4GB (but only see 3). If you have a Core Duo model, I doubt the 2Gig stick will work. Should be fine if you have a Core 2 Duo (late 2006). I know that Core Duo minis have fits when using 2GB sticks.

3. 10lbMoustache thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is a middle 2006 and I am currently running it on only the one 2 gig stick. I am just worried about any problems I could have down the road especially if it could be soon.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If it works your probably OK but you are losing 5% of the speed by not having dual channel.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Personally, I would always go with a single 2 GB stick. In my mind, the minor speed loss is more than compensated for by the possibility of upgrading in the future without having to replace the two 1 GB sticks.

6. 10lbMoustache thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome thank you guys for the info. I am just going to stick with the 2 gig I have in now so I dont have to spend the money for 2 replacement 1 gigs.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

He won't ever be able to upgrade. The max his MacBook can take is 2GB. 2X1GB would have been the best route for his machine as it max's both the memory and the speed.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah? Is that Apple's limit or the real limit? If so, than 1 GB would definitely be the way to go.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

For a Core Duo machine, that's the hard limit (and Apple's). My mini goes berserk if I try a 2G stick so its interesting that the OPs MacBook doesn't since its almost identical hardware but 2G is definitely the limit.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, it struck me as strange that it would work at all with 2 GB if if doesn't support 4 GB in two slots. I don't know that much about the specifics of hardware, though, so I'll yield to your judgement.

11. 10lbMoustache thread starter macrumors newbie

My machine works fine no problems at all. It says by the memory slot that 2 is the preferred but I have not yet run across any problems with just the 1 card in there.