MacBook messed up..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Orange Furball, May 18, 2012.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I replaced the superdrive in my MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) with a 320GB hard drive. I then replaced my hard drive with a 64gb ssd. I did this early April, and then switched back to my default configuration. (160GB Apple branded drive and SuperDrive) I switched back because I was having battery issues. It wasn't reading times correctly and told me to go to Apple, they said "You did a great job on that mod, but the extra hard drive is teasing the battery. Remove it and you should be good!" So I removed it. I then ran out of space. Also my computer was slow on boot and wake. So I figured I would just go back to the mod and deal with the side effects.

Wednesday night I installed all the hard drives. I closed it up as I didn't have time to move things around. Today, Friday, I decided to tackle it. I hooked up my 160GB drive to a sata->USB adapter. I booted from it. I copied the home folder from the 160GB to the 320GB. Then I made the 320GB my default Home Folder.

I rebooted back into the external 160GB. I opened up Carbon Copy Cloner and closed the entire drive onto the SSD. (After I put my Music and Movies into a seprate partition, the one I was cloning was 65.xxGB.) The formatted capacity of the SSD was 64.xxGB. In CCC I unchecked the home folder. I then cloned it. CCC said there was not enough space, but I proceeded anyway. It cloned successfully and I shut down.

I unplugged the USB Drive. Pushed the power button. 1.5 minute boot, should be 30 seconds with the SSD. Then tried using my Magic Mouse. Didn't work, bluetooth doesn't work. Says bluetooth hardware can't be found when I try to start Bluetooth from System Preferences. I thought maybe I needed to update, I knew 10.7.4 came out and decided to upgrade. Downloaded it, installed, rebooted, 2 minute boot. Let it sit, and no difference.

What next? Thanks

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

as much as i dont like cloning my hard drives, did you try to do a fresh install by chance to see if that would fix things?

3. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Unfortunately, I don't have any snow leopard restore disks. I don't even have leopard ones. I bought it used and it didn't come with them

4. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Bump. Sorry if this is not allowed. I'm just at a standstill without Bluetooth

5. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Do you currently have an external you dont mind backing up all your data on? oh and would you care to spend 30 bucks on Snow leopard? That way you will always have a hard copy to fall back on, and you can do a fresh install :)