MacBook Mic High Pitched Buzzing - Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tucom, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

Every now and then the time arises when I need some help, and this is one of those times.

I just purchased a refurbished 2009 MacBook from MicroCenter with a 2 year and 90 day warranty, and it has been working flawlessly. The first time I used GarageBand on it, I did some vocal (I can't sing at all lol) recordings and all was well. The next time I used GarageBand and recorded some vocals there was a high pitched buzzing sound.

I read USB mice can cause this, but I have nothing hooked up to my MacBook except the MagSafe power adapter and a BlueTooth Mighty Mouse - which I have tried disconnecting but no luck.

Any ideas? I'm going to try Audacity and see if this buzzing is there too, will report back.

2. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Really, this many views and NO help?

It happens in PhotoBooth and Audacity as well.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

My G5 tower does this, I think a lot of Macs do, I know that when I'm capturing audio through my ancient Firewire 400 iSight camera I don't get the buzzing though. It's bloody annoying, hey.

4. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Thanks for your reply, I found that after setting the mic gain to about %50, the buzzing is pretty much absent. I think it's just picking up its own noise from the machine itself, given that the mic is built in. No computer should show these symptoms if using an external mic, however.