Macbook Mid-2007 Temperatures? Is mine too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Orizence, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Orizence macrumors 6502

After using my mid-2007 macbook for a while I have noticed that the CPU consistently runs at 68c with a pretty noisy fan, this is while running only Firefox with 1 tab open; with a Youtube video the CPU it gets even hotter.

I was just wondering what temperatures you guys get?

Here are mine:
    Idle: 53c
    Full Load: 80c
    This tab with a youtube video: 71c

Is this within the normal temperature range?

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s an old notebook, likely wouldn't hurt to clean out the cooling system and replace the thimble paste. My Early 2008 15" MBP used to run hot, easily passing 80C under high loads. Running Safari may help with reducing system load.

Q-6

3. Orizence thread starter macrumors 6502

I already replaced the thermal compound, I was just curious of the temperatures other people have had/are having. I just thought the temperatures I am having are a bit extreme

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Just to chime in a bit, 80ºC isn't bad at all. The Core 2 Duo in my '08 Penryn MacBook would easily hit in the low 90's when doing intensive tasks with the fan on full speed, even when it was brand new. I remember playing Half-Life 2 and hitting a max of 205ºF, around 96ºC when I had iStat monitoring it.

I wouldn't be worried about it in the 80º range, perfectly normal for the C2D/GMA cards when playing things with Flash, plus it the poor little GMA card has to work pretty hard on the modern web compared to when it was new. Even then it wasn't the best.

I will say that it does run Windows 10 better than they run OS X Lion, but it's a good bit of work to get it all setup properly. And Lion will still do most things just fine anyway.