Macbook Mid-2007 Upgrade to Macbook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fatal1980, Jun 10, 2009.

1. fatal1980 macrumors newbie

I have the Mid-2007 Macbook white plastic one. Which also has the plastic cracking on the right side... i think i heard it was common.

Anyways, I wanted to know if I would see a significant performance increase with the Macbook Pro 13"

My current specs are:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

So the big differences I guess would be the Video card and the 1066MHz FSB

Is it worth it? or should I stick with the current one?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Do it. You will love the new build, it is beautiful. And the new MBPs can use up to 8 GB of RAM. :)

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

If your current one does everything you need without a problem, there's no reason to upgrade at this time.

As for the plastic cracking, even if you're out of warranty, Apple will fix it for free if you bring it into your nearest Apple Store or Authorized Retailer.

4. fatal1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I am thinking about it because it does get pretty laggy @ times... even though I don't run many graphic applications, just photoshop once in a while... but I usually end up with a ton of browser tabs open/itunes/word/mail etc.. It's not terrible but I would think 2.16ghz would handle it nicely..

Would the bump in FSB help? Basically I want to know if the performance would increase a lot... I've had this since 2007... I guess i'm looking for a good reason to upgrade..

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The FSB by itself isn't much difference. There was a 5% boost from the 800mhz to the 1066mhz setup, so maybe 10% there. The main benefit would be more RAM capacity I guess.

On the hard drive side, you could try running disk utility to repair permissions as that can smooth things out too.