Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegodp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2020
Hi guys,
I've bought in 2007 a MacBook Mid 2007 (2,1) with 2.0Ghz and 2GBs Ram running with 10.6.8 osx

It still works, but is almost impossible to browse on interner with safari or firefox and some app (like Dropbox and others) are not compatible with that Osx.

What do you advice me?
I'd like to upgrade hardware, but I've read that SSD don't work fluently and RAM space is limited to 2GB (or 3GB but not more)

How I could use once more my old notebook?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys,
I've bought in 2007 a MacBook Mid 2007 (2,1) with 2.0Ghz and 2GBs Ram running with 10.6.8 osx
Why?

It still works, but is almost impossible to browse on interner with safari or firefox and some app (like Dropbox and others) are not compatible with that Osx.

What do you advice me?
I'd like to upgrade hardware, but I've read that SSD don't work fluently and RAM space is limited to 2GB (or 3GB but not more)

How I could use once more my old notebook?
Sell it and buy a more recent Mac (like MacBook Pro/Air 2012 or later), or else install Chrome OS.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
I had one of these and I got rid of it about 5-6 years ago. I remember because I replaced it with an 11" MacBook Air 2013, kept it around for 1-2 years and ditched it after its age became annoyingly obvious.

First of all, SSDs work fine in this notebook computer. The drive is user replaceable, you just need to install the mounting rails on the new SSD. If I recall correctly, it just requires a Torx screwdriver. In fact, I still have one of the two SSDs I used in this system: an OCZ Agility 3, now in an external USB 3.0 drive enclosure. The SSD probably added 3 years of useful life; the day I installed it, the system ran better than when it was brand new.

As for RAM, I believe you can install 4 GB of memory modules, but due to system architecture it only lets something like 3.5 GB as user addressable. I don't even know if it's worth paying the money for the memory modules today.

The system itself can run an operating system beyond Snow Leopard. I forget what the last operating system it can run, but you can do an Internet search. It might have been Lion (10.7).

There are a bunch of problems with running such an old computer.

Of course, it's not running a recent version of macOS so built-in applications don't have any of the latest security updates. You might be able to find the last version of a third-party browser (Firefox, Chrome) that can run on the system but those aren't being updated either.

Also, pretty much none of the commonly used apps are being updated: iLife suite, iWork suite, etc.

The system is incapable of handling today's larger data (like editing 4K video files).

A replacement battery costs more than the system is probably worth and it doesn't have a Retina Display or modern wifi. Apple doesn't sell them anymore and you are stuck with third-party vendors.

And yet my two-year old iPhone can do all of this.

If you need something for browsing the web, reading e-mail, watching video, etc. get a refurbished iPad. It's lighter and has better battery performance and is still getting the latest operating system software updates.

For me, I don't see the point in trying to keep using such an old system. And I OWNED ONE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Neill

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Another problem with MacBooks from this era is that the backlight was cold cathode fluorescent (CCFL). Like other fluorescent lighting technology, the light loses brightness over time.

When I got rid of my MacBook 2007, the backlight was probably half as bright as when I bought it brand new. Toward the end, I was using it at full brightness and even then the screen was noticeably dim.

This is the same limitation as CFL bulbs and standard old-school fluorescent light tubes.

Today's notebook computers use LED backlights. They don't lose brightness over time.

diegodp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2020
I've read somewhere news about Chrome OS FLex.
What's your opinion to rescue my old macbook ?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I've read somewhere news about Chrome OS FLex.
What's your opinion to rescue my old macbook ?
I tried the previous version, CloudReady Chrome OS. On my 2008 white MacBook it was OK but not great. Lots of little niggling issues, which made it a sub-par experience. Maybe Chrome OS Flex is better, I dunno.

diegodp

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2020
I think that my old Macbook Mid 2007 is able to became a museum piece!
No-one solution for it... :-( and it works still fine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.