Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmodgill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Firstlly, Let me start with a brief history.

Macbook 2009 - Mid Model.

1) Everything was running smoothly, until all **** breaks loose in 2012 and Hard Disk is corrupted (Bad Sectors), it took me lot of visits to apple care, lot of money to get my Data Backed up (Time Machine) etc. Replaced with a brand New Toshiba Hard Disk. Installed Mountian Lion on it.

2) Everything is running smootly for 2 weeks, and then RAM starts giving problem, so i replace the RAM with higher 4 GB total.

3) Everything is running smoothly again for about 2 months, then Macbook started Hanging for 30 seconds - 1 minute randomly and repeatedly. Checked the Console in utilities, Disk Error I/O Kernel. Bit of digging, downloaded Smart Utility from Volaitas. And my Hard Disk which is only 8 months OLD has Bad Sectors. and already Mac has reallocated 8200 Sectors with 72 Bad Sectors Pending.

NOTE: I can;t get warranty, as i had broken the case of Toshiba HDD to fit into Macbook, as i had a spare Cased HDD.

Please let me know what should i do, it is a HUGE HASSEL.

(1****) I have everything backed up on TIME MACHINE (External HDD) so all my 50 GIGs of Pictures and Videos seem to be safe for now.

I have original BOOT DVD of Snow Leopard which came with my macbook.

Should i buy new HDD and install Snow Leopard Via BOOT DVD??? and then just Restore my 50 GIGS of Ipoto Library??? is it possible.

Also i am absoluetly shocked that my Toshiba 500 GB got Bad Sectors so soon, because i also have a 1 TB external Tosbhiba HDD, and its running perfectly, both were same make, similar models, i dunno whats wrong with my MACBOOK.

Please help.

callmerui

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
The Netherlands
Just bad luck. HDD failure can happen to everyone. Nowadays, the chance to have a HDD failure is less than it used to be but still it can happen. If you made backup on time machine then you can put the whole backup on your new HDD. Furthermore, you can save time and money to buy a new HDD at a store and replace it yourself ;)

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Why didn't you buy a HDD that fits rather than breaking it? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. That's why you don't destroy something so you still have the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.