Macbook Mid 2010 A1342

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gadget.guy, Jul 3, 2016.

1. gadget.guy macrumors member

Not a newbie when it comes to apple having an iphone 6s plus ipad air 2 and the apple watch but i've never had a mac. Would it be a good way to introduce myself to the macworld can i do most things on this or are many features not available for such an older model ?

The macbook will have 8GB memory and a SSD and is pretty quick at most things i've been told. pretty cheap pricewise at 250 pounds from a friend.

anyone care to give me advice i've always wanted a mac but i've been a Windows guy when it comes to laptops it would be used daily for general browsing checking email youtube etc nothing too tasking.

yay or nay ? any advice appreciated

2. gadget.guy thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply gooser i did want a more substantial reply but yay will work for me lol

still 50-50 on it though will decide later this week any further replies advice etc appreciated

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

The 2010 MacBooks are solid little notebooks. My mother has one and has been using it as her daily machine since she purchased it in 2010, and she is still perfectly happy with it. I'd go for it! If you decide that you hate Macs, you can always sell it along or install Windows on it ;)

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Just remember you are buying a 6 old Mac. This is fine. But don't expect 2016 performance. Great entry to !ac though - why? Won't cost you hardly anything. If you don't like sell for similar price. If you purchase new or newer machine you would lose a lot more money.

5. gadget.guy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies multifinder17 and spink10 i'm edging towards getting it its cheap enough to buy and then if i find i don't like the mac i'll sell it on. What features aren't available on the 2010 A1342 i've googled and found some people are able to use handoff and contiunity others not.

6. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

There is a way to get continuity to work, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Other than that this really is a great machine, I still use mine on a daily basis.

7. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have a 2010 MacBook with just 2GB of memory and it is working fine. Running El Capitan on it. Not the fastest laptop around but it works fine for me.

8. asoksevil macrumors 6502

My cousin has 2010 model and I have the 2010 MBA. Working great on Mavericks and can't really complain about performance because it still handles all Blizzard games.

9. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

+1

Given the OP's intended workload, this is a great, low risk, first Mac purchase just to see how they like it.