MacBook: Mini DV to VGA Adaptor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwright1974, Nov 22, 2007.

1. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

EDIT: Missed the I off DVI!!

Hello

Was wondering if somebody could help me please?

Just ordered a MacBook and forgot to add the Mini DV to VGA adaptor so I can connect it to a monitor.

Before I ordered it from the Apple Store, just happened to Google it and saw this from www.play.com

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3478327/Apple-Mini-DVI-To-VGA-Adapter/Product.html

The description says:

"The Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter was specifically designed for use with the latest 12-inch PowerBook G4. Connect the adapter to the Mini-DVI port of the PowerBook G4 and the VGA end of the adapter to an external VGA monitor or projector. Both video-mirroring or dual display modes are supported."

So, my question is, will this work with a SR MacBook? The Apple description for the adaptor says it is designed for the Powerbook G4 so I'm guessing it is but thought I would check first! The one from play.com is £12 as opposed to £20 inc delivery from Apple!

TIA

- D

2. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Agent Smith

I'm using the one I got for my old PB, so it should be fine. I don't have the SR MacBook, but I don't think that the physical architecture of the thing has changed.

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I didn't know they had a cable that went from mini DVI straight to VGA, but I think I know the cable you were looking at, and a good rule is: if it does not explicitly say mini DVI, then it isn't what you want. Maybe you can use this one instead though? (If the link doesn't work it is :apple:'s mini DVI to video cable). Component to VGA cables shouldn't be all that expensive.

Good Luck!

4. dwright1974 thread starter macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Hey thanks - This is the one from the Apple Site.

So I'm guessing it's the right one.

@Agent Smith:

Thanks for the advice, think I will give it a go, if it doesn't work, eBay will be my friend!

- D

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yes

yes, it is the right one. the last 12"pb g4 (and maybe the second to last) use the same mini dvi to whatever as the macbooks and MBPs do.

6. dwright1974 thread starter macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Excellent, thanks!

Ordered!

- D

7. admiraldennis macrumors regular

All mini-DVI related adapters are compatible with any Mac they can physically plug into.

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

Don't bend the short thick cable too much.

It might stop working if you do.

9. roguelogo macrumors newbie

New MacBooks

I know it's probably to late, but most of the new MacBooks do not use the Mini-dvi connector. It's a Mini-DP connector. It's different. Make sure you get the right connector.

Good Luck,
    Rogue Logo

10. svndmvn Guest

make sure you read the date:)