Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
I don't know what the problem is at this point.

The MacBook will output to a 17" LCD I have, but not to the 20" LCD I have always used with it. The Mac mini, on the other hand, has no issue with outputting to either, using the same cable. I had the adapter tested at the local Apple store, because I had thought the adapter was bad, but they let me test my MacBook and adapter with an Apple display at the store and it worked without a hitch. When I cut or give power to the 20" LCD with the DVI cable plugged in, the MacBook's screen will go blue for a few seconds as it always does when it connects or disconnects to an external display, but afterward does not even acknowledge it, and the 20' LCD remains blank.

Again, the 20" LCD and the 17" LCD will work with the Mac mini, using the same DVI cable, and the MacBook will work with the 17" LCD and the Apple Store display using the same DVI cable and its own adapter, but the MacBook will not will not work with the 20" LCD. I have replicated my experiments with two different DVI cables, one a DVI-D Dual Link and another a DVI-D Single Link, with the same result. What is going on here?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well do you have the regular LCD open when you connect the external monitor? If you do it's probably just expanded. Try dragging a window to the right side of your regular display onto the external.

Also dual link and single link doesn't matter since you're not running a 30" display nor does the X3100 support dual link.

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for the reply, alphaod. It looks like the issue concerns the latest 10.5.5 update. Prior to that, everything was running well. It looks like the graphics update affected compatibility with some displays, including my own.

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago!!! when you connect it first start flickering blue, and then it turns black. I went to the apple store and showed it to them. It didn't worked with 2 different screens, 2 cables + my equipment. they took the macbook, and they said I had to call next week. That same week my logic board was replaced and everything worked as it should.

That is exactly the reason why I'm going to buy apple care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.