MacBook mini-DVI to component?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weeag, Apr 8, 2007.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Hey all... curious is there's a way to get my macbook to display on my component television. And, if there is, what might the quality be like? It's not an HD tv, only standard def, but component from the DVD player is quite good. I really only need it for the occasional game (through OSX & XP) and movie trailers through front row.

Thanks for any help!

2. marvinsum macrumors member

Not sure about component, but Apple does sell a mini-DVI (for the MacBook) to S-Video or composite adapter. $19 from the Apple.com

You can find it here.

3. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads-up on those. I did see them earlier when hunting for a component adapter. Is there anything else out there - apple or generic?

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It's a bit convoluted, but a Mini DVI-DVI adaptor from Apple ($19) and this DVI-Component Adaptor and some component cables will do the job

I don't know of a Mini DVI-Component adaptor that does it directly.

5. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... that's what I figured I would have to do. Have you, or anyone else, had any experience displaying a mac via component to tv? What's the quality like?

Thanks for the continued help!

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

No, never used component, but I've used the S-Video one and it's fine for watching DVD's, but nothing else.

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Actually no, that won't work. Apple's miniDVI->DVI adapters only output DVI-D (digital only), and DVI->VGA or DVI->Component adapters (like that one) require DVI-I.

weeag, you're just going to have to use composite or S-Video. I'm sure you could find some sort of box that could convert composite or s-video into component if you really need it that way because of a lack of inputs, but you won't be gaining any quality by doing so.

8. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, bummer. :(

Thanks for the help. It's not a lack of inputs, I just wanted the highest input from the macbook that I could get. Seems s-video is going to be it though.

Do the adapters work with bootcamp in XP?

9. ChaseMc macrumors newbie

Mini DV -> VGA -> Component

If anyone would be able to help me with this one I'd really be appreciative.

I have a Macbook (late 2008) running bootcamp with windows 7. I'm trying to wire it to my TV. I thought I would go the route of a Mini DV -> VGA, and then VGA -> Component. For whatever reason, when I plug it in to the tv (and I've tried a few different ones), it says it is not compatible. I thought I'd check here first before I get a replacement cable. The video looks great when I just use Mini DV -> VGA, but for whatever reason the 2nd step isn't working

Any advice?

thanks

10. ChaseMc macrumors newbie

Anyone?

Haven't heard back from anything, thought I'd check in. Thanks

11. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Get a new TV. High Def TVs are much cheaper now and depending on the screen size you need, it might just be easier going this route.