Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thoshino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
No offense... I'm sure you've got GREAT business sense, but until you start your own business and have 28 billion CASH in the bank, you might want to trot out your philosophies somewhere else.

Do you have 28 billion CASH in the bank?
With your philosophy none of us are qualified to say anything about Apple, much like people in countries with no freedom of speech are not "qualified" to say anything about their governments. Besides, some people controlling considerably money than 28 billion were so extremely good at their jobs that their companies are now begging the U.S. congress for restructuring.

Apple didn't get $ x billion by underpricing, but they didn't get it from pushing their price premiums to the limit either. They did it by delivering a really good OS and computers that sported fair specs at common-sense prices. (sure it was more expensive than a PC, but it WAS worth it)

I my mind Apple started going wrong last fall when they crippled the MB (no firewire), from there on it's a straight line, crippled low-end Mac Pro, Mac Pro prices through the roof, only "mirror"-monitors. iMac integrated graphics price just right for iMac with discrete graphics.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Seriously, it's obviously a fake/render, it often happens, the specs might be legible but that does not mean they can't speculate on it's design and create something to illustrate that. Renders are thrown up all the time to match with leaked information.

This isn't anything new, so can people stop whining if the picture is real or not.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Fake. Why would they put a 64 gig SSD and a backlit keyboard in a netbook? Aaaand netbooks are usually 400 bucks, not 900. 900 bucks is what you pay for a high end PC.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Well, maybe over there, but, of course, not here...as of 15th March 2008...

"According to the AA, the average price of a litre of unleaded petrol is 106.2p, when oil"
when oil was around $100 a barrel.
Oil now about $43 a barrel, i.e. less than half, one litre of above around 90p

In the same time the pound has collapsed against the dollar, from $2/£1 to $1.45/£1. That's where all the difference has gone. Blame Gorden 'the gopher' Brown.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
First think I said to myself was, "oh it doesn't have firewire, it must be true." but no it definately looks contrived.

bobertoq

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Paul Reed Smith guitars are among the best in the industry. For years they sold for $2000-$5000 and up to $150,000 for custom orders. They are like apple and don't compromise on parts or software, and they never made a truly "affordable" guitar. In 2000, they outsourced a project called "SE" to a guitar maker in Korea, and their new SE line of guitars, while still great instruments, now cost $500-600.

Now tell me, what is stopping Apple from cutting corners, finding cheaper means of making a computer, and putting a laptop on the market for $400?

Why would you miss out on that market? There is a whole mass of people out there that only want to surf the internet and REFUSE to drop $1000+ on a laptop. It doesn't take a lot of thought to make a decision on that one.

Just look at Nintendo. They discarded their attempts at "hardcore" gaming and released a system that the othere 70% of people under 30 would be interested in, along with many grandmas and 3 year olds. They DESTROY Microsoft and Sony in monthly revenue because they made a system that was made for the CASUAL gamer and made it cheap.

Apple needs to pull their wallets out of their butts and get to being intelligent again.
Great post, but Apple isn't Nintendo.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Fake, apple wouldn't install AdiumX and World Of Warcraft on a promotional laptop. Also, if they would really utilize the Atom processor to create a netbook kind of device I somehow think it would be running the multitouch OS X on a tablet kind of device instead of regular OS X on a shrunken MacBook. But that's just a hunch of course :)

attachment-2.jpg

Adium lol...

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Explain. To say its ugly is to say the current design of all Apple laptops is ugly. Or at least saying the current MBA is ugly.

I would say apple's new line isn't that great looking. I wouldn't call it ugly, because I know what other computers look like, but for Apple, I think they could have done way better. Changing the black keyboard is a start.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Fake. Why would they put a 64 gig SSD and a backlit keyboard in a netbook? Aaaand netbooks are usually 400 bucks, not 900. 900 bucks is what you pay for a high end PC.

The netbook to compare against is the HP 2140 HD (the 1366x768 screen version, which is $25 more than the 1024x576 screen). That's under $600. Add on a slightly faster CPU, more RAM (?), and the SSD cost, and then the Apple tax :(

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008
Great post, but Apple isn't Nintendo.

Yeah and considering Nintendo was on their way out in their market and this was more of their last effort, Apple isn't anything close to Nintendo. Nintendo acted in desperation and notice their strategy to keep supplies extremely limited to squeeze as much life out of this one product as possible. Apple changes their product every couple months. Different markets.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This would be a major THUD as a netbook, which is why I'm leaning heavily toward fake.

Most of the netbooks I have seen have 16GB SSDs. Considering the main deal behind netbooks is price, why would Apple quadruple that and sit it only $100 less than a MacBook white?

Drop the SSD down, reduce the RAM to 1GB, forget the LED screen and you might get a $699 netbook. I also don't know that bluetooth or a Mini DisplayPort is necessary for such a contraption, but I haven't checked specs of other netbooks.

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
Poor shopping

Just noticed in the above pic - sorry if this has been pointed out before - that there's some poor 'shopping gone on here - the screen is slanting backwards, yet the words MacBook Mini are in perfect proportion as though the screen was horizontal... In other words, the specs might be true (unlikely IMHO), but the pic is a fake

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Actually i hope this is true... if i have to suffer with no firewire, i'd rather it be with a small cheap machine, the 10 inch screen would make it very portable, and i know allot of people that still wish Apple had kept the 10 inch line from the powerbooks. Crossing my fingers! Either way nice photoshopping job, whoever.

edit:my bad the powerbook was 12 inch

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I don't care if this is fake or not, but that's exactly how Apple netbook should look like. I have my 899 euros waiting for this baby!

DharvaBinky

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Lafayette, LA
For $100 less than a Macbook, I can have a device that isn't dinosaur sized.

Does anyone really think the MacBook is dinosaur sized? Is it really so heavy and burdensome to carry around that knocking a couple of inches off the sides, reducing the weight by 1.5 pounds, bounding the screen down to a funky rez that no app is accustomed to handling by default, and dropping in a retarded processor that would have only rocked in the mid 90s is worth the $100 price break? Even if they sold this for $600 it might be too much...

:p

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
error.jpg

Looks like photoshop to me. That's a blending error, trying to combined pieces of multiple images.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
fake or not....I WANT it.

I really want to see a smaller portable solution from Apple, one with a 10-12 inch screen, and it does not need to be widescreen. The MBA doesn't do it for me, and doesn't seem like a true 12" Powerbook replacement.

I'd really like to see something like this come to fruition. i don't know how much longer my 12" Powerbook is going to hold out! :eek:

roberry82

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Just noticed in the above pic - sorry if this has been pointed out before - that there's some poor 'shopping gone on here - the screen is slanting backwards, yet the words MacBook Mini are in perfect proportion as though the screen was horizontal... In other words, the specs might be true (unlikely IMHO), but the pic is a fake

good catch. you're correct!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.