Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd like to see Apple bring a netbook to the table, but I'll stick with my MacBook. Can't do without a DVD-RW (would like a BR drive though :eek:).

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
So a smaller, even more under-powered and under-featured overpriced version of the MacBook Air?

I don't care if it's fake or not :rolleyes:

The only thing that would redeem this is built-in cellular networking - 3G, 3.5G, 4G, whatever. Apple won't do this though. The next iPhone + external keyboard (yes, they are coming) will be a better buy.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
$275 to stream your itunes library to your hi-fi?!!!!!

why didn't you just buy an airport express and use airtunes?

I considered numerous options and even started a thread on MacRumors.

Ultimately the reason was that for a whopping $100 more I could have a full functioned (albeit tiny screen and lightweight processor) computer...which means I can surf, print out a doc, etc...there were some other reasons too but I forget. I love my choice.

-Eric

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
This is what, a smaller, less powerful, Macbook Air?

I'm not seeing the market here. How many MBA customers turn away because at 13.3" it's way too large?

This isn't a netbook, as it's $300 too expensive for that. But it also isn't powerful enough to do much more than surf the net - and with only 64GB of disk space. The only point of the SSD is to reduce weight, something that Netbook owners don't really care about.

I dunno, the whole thing seems odd - unless of course, it's a fake.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

The image appears to me a modified picture of a MacBook Air. Nice try but I'm not buying it. I'll believe it when I see it.

MACingIS4Me

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
there is a couple of things that make me say this is fake, take a look at the shift key, and the enter key. they dont look like the keys from other apple laptops.

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado
I think this one has to be a fake. It seems to me that it is just too thin. I understand that the MacBook Air is also very thin, but the actual computer on this one is even thinner than the screen.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I thought that the attraction of netbooks was the low price. This doesn't fit the bill. :mad:

But I would probably buy one anyway because I'm a FREEKIN' RICH GEEK!!!! :eek:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Am I the only one VERY skeptical about Apple going Atom? I don't see atom-Macs coming....they'd rather put a custom-made (remember the first MBA?) intel full-blown Core 2 Duo in the thingy....this is what I expect from Apple...

Well, people have atom-based machines running OS X just fine now. I mean, the iPhone/Touch are running OS X. To keep the GUI smooth and responsive, Apple will pair it with a competent 2D GPU that can execute all the common CoreAnimation operations pretty well.

We're talking a computer to do netbook-type tasks -- no heavy lifting.

InkMaster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2007
Nagoya, Japan

AHA! But thats where you're wrong! Sony's PR team claims its not a netbook!, its a lifestyle book or something along those likes or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. :rolleyes:

I think this one has to be a fake. It seems to me that it is just too thin. I understand that the MacBook Air is also very thin, but the actual computer on this one is even thinner than the screen.

Too Thin? TOO THIN?

THIS. IS. APPLE!

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
i would REALLY like to be able to sync my bluetooth keyboard with the iphone! once they allow that, i'd be all over it! lol

Except that the iPhone's screen is too small for some use scenarios.

I've used an N800, and N810, and a G1 as devices for general surfing and note taking... and it's good for basic notes, and maybe document viewing ... but when you get into more detailed use and document work, the screen really does become a limitation.

For me, I need a 7" screen at least.

Now, one compelling idea might be something like the Redfly.

A 7" or 9" Redfly-type device that can talk to an iPhone might be worth buying. Especially if that Redfly type device is a convertible tablet, or a tablet with an attachable/detachable keyboard.

And, if it's actual Redfly, then they'll be making their software available so that you can display your phone on a desktop computer.

An Apple version of that could be interesting and compelling. And might be done for relatively little money. Plus, it would get people to buy more iPhones and iPod-Touches (it might actually get me to switch to an iPhone).

Though, the ideal for me might be an HTC Shift type Macbook-Mini with conventional OS X, accelerometer for screen rotation, an iPhone like Front-Row overlay interface, and Redfly software. If the iPhone could also work with Redfly, and they enable tethering (and add a decent SSH client), then I'd probably think about switching away from my G1.

nilka

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Well I am actually happy to say I think thiese pictures are fake. Not because I dnt wan an Apple Netbook, I really want, but mainly because this is a non inovative way to look at the netbook. The reason I think they are fake is simply some slight insider information and also a very much because I have close understanding at how the apple product design work.

Apple would not release a netbook without multitouch. This is for 2 reasons. 1 they want to incorporate multitouch on smaller devices before they put them inn full use of the range as that is a way to see if people actually like it. Especially in cheaper product lines. Not that Apple have any cheap product linup but you get my point.

Secondly many of the netbook manufacturers already have touchscreen computers coming up and the preview and reviews of those are really good.
Apple would need to surpass them and thats what they will do with snow leopard in combination with these new multitouch netbooks.

Then to my point, apple would never have a touchscreen on a normal computer. It have at least to turnable. To actually have onscrren keyboard would be a really horrible idea, you would use half the screen as keyboard who really wants to use up half their screen to type anything.

My guess is we will see a device not with the modern swiwel tablet but mora along the slide cellhphones. Wher the keyboard is under the screen. This would promote use of the touchscreen in everyday tasks and you could easyly get to the keyboard if you needed to type much.

This is just my 2 cents. Pay me when you see I am spot on ;)

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado
AHA! But thats where you're wrong! Sony's PR team claims its not a netbook!, its a lifestyle book or something along those likes or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. :rolleyes:

Too Thin? TOO THIN?

THIS. IS. APPLE!

Yes, I understand that Apple is amazing, trust me. But this just seems a little ridiculous. I dont think anyone can make a decent computer that is this thin, yet. When it does happen, I'm sure it will be by Apple, but I dont think it will be this summer.

(prove me wrong Apple... :D)

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
$899!? Pleeeeeze. Besides being small, the one main reason to get a netbook is that they are supposed to be cheap.

I bought a WIND for $299. It runs OS X like a champ. True, it's not the real deal, but if I had $900 to drop on a Mini MacBook, I'd probably just spring for a white MacBook. If this is true then it looks great, but come on Apple, $900 bucks totally defeats the purpose. The whole reason everyone is saying that Apple needs to get into the sub notebook market is due to the failing economy. Who's going to spend $900 on a netbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.