Macbook Mini Port question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by madthom, Oct 17, 2009.

1. madthom macrumors newbie

I spoke on the phone with a Apple rep, but need confirmation. I use my macbook with the mac surround sound htru the mac for DVD viewing, and an external monitor sometimes for normal work.
    Now, I understand I need Mini Port to DVI, then a DVI to Video adapter. Will this work? Then I'll need a third adapter since my LCDs are all VGA. I have one old, Gateway (but made by Sony) digital monitor which has a very small slit like connection to the vid card and monitor-if anybody has a clue what this is, please help. No one seems to know.
    Thanks
    madthom

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If your monitor only has a VGA connectors, you don't need the Mini Display Port <-> DVI connector.

Get a Mini Display Port <-> VGA adapter.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. Something about your setup I can't picture in my head. I agree that some kind of picture or diagram would help.

4. Moocher macrumors regular

Go to monoprice.com and do a tech support chat, send an email, or call them. Not only will they be able to help (I'm pretty sure, anyway), but their cables are excellent and cheap. They have all sorts of adapters for the mini display port.

Mooch