Macbook minor cracked - Get it fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kelving525, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kelving525 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I was cleaning my Macbook today when I suddenly realized that my Macbook was damaged. I don't know what happened, I didn't drop it or anything but something must have caused this damaged. I don't know if I should get it fixed or not, it looks horrible! If I want just want to repair cracked plastic, how much would that cost me? :confused:

[​IMG]

After I fixed it:

[​IMG]

2. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

If you're referring to how the plastic bezel around the screen separates from the rest of the body, that's not abnormal. As for the chipped plastic, I don't think Apple would do much, not without charging you at least. They typically don't warrant against cosmetic damage with a few exceptions (e.g. the discolored palmrests with early MacBooks). I have no idea how much it would cost, but my guess is it would be at least a couple hundred dollars.

3. XP Defector macrumors 6502

About a two inch slice of plastic magically separated from the right palm rest a while ago. To be honest, even if they replace it is only going to happen again, so what's the point!

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I'd imagine it'd be easy to superglue the bezel back in place.

5. Scathach macrumors newbie

That is exactly what happened to my macbook last week, along with another crack on the hinge. Apple was great they had me mail back my macbook and they mailed me a brand new macbook (even a newer model from the one I had). It was the 4th time I had issues with the casing on my notebook so they said I could return it for a new machine. I am sure they will be able to replace the broken part for you if your still under warrenty.

6. kelving525 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I went to the genius bar yesterday and was told that it would cost me $500 just for the bottom part. I didn't even bother asking for the top since the bottom would already cost me that much. I think I would get a better deal if I sold this on ebay and then purchase a new Macbook. I'll just leave it the way it is since it's not an eye-sore upon closer look. :)

7. kage207 macrumors 6502a

So, if it isn't your fault on the cracking there, they still charge you? That's kinda unfair. Cause my IBM used to crack all the time and they fixed it. Though that was through my high school. I just got my first apple, Macbook and it's great so far. Now I'm kinda worried.