Macbook miracle

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jeanluv, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jeanluv macrumors newbie

I'm new here and I really need the expertise of everyone TIA. My son had a Macbook that suffered spill of soda a year and a half ago which I brought to Apple for repair and said it is beyond repair. So i bought him a new one and forget the damaged macbook and put in the storage. Just last week my son just out of the blue plug the old macbook and it boot up with no problem, everything seems to be working fine. I used it for several hours everyday and worked fine except when i shut it down it won't boot up again, I have to wait the next day when it cools down and it will boot again like nothing happens. What should i do to fix this. Thanks for your help.

2. jeanluv thread starter macrumors newbie

3. sorepheet macrumors member

sorepheet

Try letting it sleep

"Let sleeping dogs lie" Perhaps instead of shutting it off, just let it sleep? I rarely turn off my Macs. The occasional hiccup will warrant a restart. Any particular reason (other than saving electricity) that you need to shut it down completely? I say, to let another proverb fly; "don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

4. altecXP macrumors 65816

You (or find a friend that can) strip it down, and wipe it down with alcohol based wipes and give it new thermal paste.

Should be good as new after that.

5. sorepheet macrumors member

sorepheet

Resource

Good call, soda probably ate away at thermal paste. Utilize this site: http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook
    Just select your specific MacBook and away you go!
    Also in the future you may want to invest in keyboard screen protector

6. jeanluv thread starter macrumors newbie

besides saving electricity hmmm... no other reason i'm just used to shutting it down but i'll try that. i didn't think of that.. putting it to sleep and let u know if that works. thanks.

7. jeanluv thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds good.. I'll try that.. thank u so much.

8. jeanluv thread starter macrumors newbie

Just want to thank u guys... I was able to re-apply the thermal paste thru the help of this guide and it fixed the problem. After several hours of use it still able to boot up normally, no need to wait the next day. Couldn't be happier :)