Macbook Misbehavior, flashdrive related--all in accordance to Murphy's law

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roisin and mac, Sep 12, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I am having disk related problems again :rolleyes:. Not as dramatic this time fortunately, as this is after all a flash drive (which I can just yank out if it comes to the worse, and to hell with the contents of it), but still pretty. damn. frustrating, especially as (and this is the Finagle's corollary part) it is exactly 0408 hours here. and I am just about ready to hit the sack. (NOT! says the macbook)

So. I have this flashdrive plugged in, which contains files from my previous (Windows-running) computer that I put there around december when the old laptop was giving up on me, as backup. When I'd got the macbook, I'd transfered most of the files, but I knew there were some left, so I decided to transfer these last bits and pieces into my mac's hard drive all nice and tidy, then Trash the stuff to free up the flashdrive. Things were going smoothly until I tried to put some stuff from the drive into the trash, like I'd done a bunch of times before, only now I got this prompt telling me Finder needs my password. Which is weird enough, but still I enter it, but then it doesn't make the folder go into the trash; just leaves it in the same place. It does the scrunched-up-paper sound of something going into the trash, as expected, but the thing doesn't get moved. Plus, it doesn't seem to matter anyway about the sound, since when I click cancel without putting in my password, it makes the same sound anyway (again, without moving the d@mn file).

In addition to that, I can't seem to get the flashdrive ejected. When I hit eject in finder, it mostly seems to give me a message saying it's in use and I can't toss it. Also,those same two folders I couldn't Trash? Well earlier I'd been having trouble moving them around finder, as well. With one of them, what happened was that it finally let me eject, then it let me move it. Could it be that there may be duplicate files in the thumbdrive and my mac's HD? As in, I had copied them the first time 'round months ago but I didn't remember and was trying to copy them again, which confused things? Or possibly that this stuff was written all those months ago? :confused:

Weird stuff, all in all. I can't make heads nor tails of it. If you can, I would really appreciate some input here. Gonna scarf some cereal while you guys think; hopefully the crunching will keep me awake long enough to apply anything you come up with. Because if I get caffeine, I'll be like the duracell bunny 'til midday :p

2. elpenguino macrumors member

I"ve had something similar happen with flashdrives, ie. finder won't let me eject/the drive is in use. I alway did a reboot and unplugged the drive when the computer turned off, then things were back to normal.

Also, make sure you don't have a lot of programs open. If one of your open programs uses one of the files you're moving, it won't let you delete or eject.

Sorry I cant be more specific. All that stuff sounds really weird. It sounds like you've had the computer on for a long time, and it might be time to do a reboot.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I had this problem once, and I moved all my stuff over and formatted using disk utility. I suspect that, at times, some of the hidden windows files cause a ruckus.