Macbook Modding

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peter1039, Nov 29, 2009.

1. peter1039 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I want to start modding my macbook and had a few questions. When replacing the topcase, is it hard to re-apply the ribbon that connects the topcase to its connector? And how would I go about removing and re-attaching the screen bezel? Is it difficult?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Peter

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Both are easy to remove and you can find instructions at ifixit.com

3. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, I've been on their website and found it to be really helpful! The only problem is that they only seem to have dis-assembley instructions and not re-assembley instructions! Any idea where I could find a more complete guide?

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I don't mean to be a dick, but

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8886952

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=827159

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=826563

Modding and self service can be so totally overrated. Is it worth potentially breaking the machine?

The screen bezel is easy to remove just don't mess up the little beige clips that hold the bezel to the LCD's surrounding frame. They clip in. You need something to stretch the clips while pushing them back into the LCD frame that won't permanently F up the plastic.

5. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, might think twice about modding or maybe just buy the parts and bring them to someone authorised to do Apple repairs!

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Ignore authorization, find someone who you trust to do it. Half the stuff I see sent for repairs by Apple comes back with screws not all the way in. They must not have been introduced to the wonderful bounty of wiha tools. :D

What are you looking to do? I could provide you with instructions for assembly and disassembly here with pointers on what to not **** up, and then it'd be viewable on the forum to anyone who tries to do it.

7. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm basically trying to turn the inside of my white macbook black. I plan on replacing the top case with on from a black macbook as well as the bezel around the screen. I'd really like to do it myself as I would find it more satisfying than paying someone else to do it!

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Do you mean the entire top piece that holds the screen, or just the frame around the LCD?

I wouldn't charge for instructions here.

9. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just the white plastic frame around the screen. Oh sorry, I didn't mean that, I meant i would prefer not to pay for an authorized apple technician to do the work!

10. hugolabv macrumors newbie

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Start at the bottom where it says macbook, get your fingers behind it and begin to take it off. Make sure that the plastic is never bending at too much of an angle at any given point. Go around the whole thing.

Use a very small flat scraping tool, such as a very small flathead screwdriver or a spudger to pry up the beige clips that came off the frame and stuck to the bezel. Insert them back into the frame where they belong. Bend the clips themselves back into proper condition and don't use too much force while reinserting them but do it quickly, so that they shoot right in.

A slight cloth with methyl ethyl ketone is nice to remove the nasty old glue but if you don't take the screen off you might get it inside, so I don't recommend that.

Then put your new black bezel on. Pop it in at the top near the camera, then work your away around ensuring none of the clips are gone. You might have to press a little hard to get it in around the bottom.

12. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, are the brown clips supposed to be attached to the bezel or the frame itself? And if i bought a new bezel would it come with clips on it, to save the hassle of removing the old ones and putting them back into the frame?

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The clips are attached to the frame. It would be impossible to reattach the bezel if the clips were attached to it, I figured this out after 2-4 hours of messing with it a few years ago. I'm nto ashamed to admit it. :(

14. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all the help so far! So its easy enough to replace the bezel then? My last question is, is it hard to reconnect the ribbon from the top case to its connector in the computer, i think that the only bit im worried about regarding the topcase replacement!

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you can't figure out how to do the reverse, then you probably don't want to do it.

It's not difficult, and would be fine if you can follow instructions.

That's already answered in this thread, and no one disagrees with the answer.

16. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, where?

17. eman macrumors 6502a

It's simple, it just plugs in. When you're taking off the topcase, just remove (lift) slowly and reach inside and disconnect the the topcase connector.

18. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to post pics if i go through with it!

19. eman macrumors 6502a

20. Silvia96 macrumors member

21. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that looks amazing! I would definitely prefer your color combination but unfortunately dont have the time or the skill! Ordered parts today, looking forward to getting it done!

22. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Only mod I've done was to slip some green acetate into the Apple logo and scrape off the white frosted layer on the back of the acrylic shape itself. Quite easy, entire thing was done in 20 minutes. Now I'm the owner of a rather snazzy last-of-the-blackbooks MacBook :D

23. peter1039 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I finally got around to modding my macbook, here are the results.
    I know its not to everyones taste but I love it! Sorry about the poor picture quality, iPhone camera :(

Attached Files: