Macbook Mods

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rocking4minutes, Jul 3, 2008.

1. rocking4minutes macrumors newbie

rocking4minutes

I've seen some pretty cool macbook mods that I want to try out. The problem is, if I mess up and screw up my macbook, I don't have the money to fix/replace it. Have any of you guys done any interesting mods to your macbook? If so, was it easy, or should some like me (who knows nothing about disassembling a computer) just stay away from the idea all together?:confused:

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I didn't mess with mine too much, upgrade the hdd & maxed out the memory and then bought a waterfield sleeve and a STM Bag. Simple, functional, and stylin ;)

3. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

A quite simple Mod to accomplish is to pry off the keys on the keyboard and install keys of different colours. Some people make a checkered pattern, one pattern I saw was quite useful, they pried off all their control and function keys and dyed them a slight shade of grey, so that the letters, numbers and punctuation stuck out.

It did make the MacBook look a bit Windozy though.

Another Mod that I am definitely doing is to put a coloured gel over the Apple so that its a different colour (in my case I'm making my BlackBook's Apple green) - see iColours for instructions.

Have fun!

4. rocking4minutes thread starter macrumors newbie

rocking4minutes

yeah, i like the black keyboard on a white mac, i think that looks pretty cool. i want to change the color of the apple on the back of my screen, but im afraid of taking off my casing

5. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I agree with skeletal, iColours.ca is a cool mod, I have a classic apple on my powerbook.

6. TheKarmelMarvel macrumors newbie

If you're moding the keyboard make sure the keyboard and keys are from the same model. Older Macbooks have different keys than the newer ones and are not compatible.

7. rocking4minutes thread starter macrumors newbie

rocking4minutes

alright thanks =]
    i probably would have messed somthing up if it wasnt for that:)

8. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Actually its not all that scary, just be sure to keep your hands steady and be firm in your actions but gentle to the screen. And be happy its not a MacBook Pro with all those fiddly little screws!

Although the MacBook apparently has a white coating behind the Apple, since I don't wait to take sandpaper to it for fear of scratch marks, is there another way to remove the coating?

Dæmon