Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
I have been searching for a couple of hours for a thread about just mods. Taking your MacBook and making it your own. And there is nothing really out there, maybe someone did this one thing but no how to's, and no where to get the stuff. Even Google only turned up one credible link. What I am looking for is something to make my MB stand out. Something like this. But at the same time something that I can actually afford. If anyone has done anything cool, please post pics. And if you know where to get the stuff to do the mods, or maybe how to videos, please post links.

Thanks

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Step 1: Buy a nice spraypaint (Krylon)
Step 2: Disassemble Macbook
Step 3: Sand it with a very high grit sandpaper
Step 4: Wash it intensely with dishsoap
Step 5: Spray very thin coats on at a time (thin enough so that the paint is almost bumpy)
Step 6: Sand it down so the paint is perfectly smooth (if there's very little paint left, so be it)
Step 7: Repeat 5 and 6 until the paint is as thick as you'd like it, then polish it out with Turtle Wax or Meguiar's Three Step Car Wax.
Step 8: Reassemble.
Step 9: Try not to jizz over your beautiful macbook

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
Step 1: Buy a nice spraypaint (Krylon)
Step 2: Disassemble Macbook
Step 3: Sand it with a very high grit sandpaper
Step 4: Wash it intensely with dishsoap
Step 5: Spray very thin coats on at a time (thin enough so that the paint is almost bumpy)
Step 6: Sand it down so the paint is perfectly smooth (if there's very little paint left, so be it)
Step 7: Repeat 5 and 6 until the paint is as thick as you'd like it, then polish it out with Turtle Wax or Meguiar's Three Step Car Wax.
Step 8: Reassemble.
Step 9: Try not to jizz over your beautiful macbook

You know what not a half bad idea, except I don't trust myself to dissasemble my MB, espically the new unibody white MB, if I saw someone else do it maybe but even that is a stretch.

What I am looking for is not exactly the same as on that site. For me the gold is too gaudy, but the diamond (insert something cheaper) logo was pretty cool. Personally I liked the copper.

And wouldn't the paint scratch pretty easily.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
You know what not a half bad idea, except I don't trust myself to dissasemble my MB, espically the new unibody white MB, if I saw someone else do it maybe but even that is a stretch.

What I am looking for is not exactly the same as on that site. For me the gold is too gaudy, but the diamond (insert something cheaper) logo was pretty cool. Personally I liked the copper.

And wouldn't the paint scratch pretty easily.

If you buy Krylon you don't have to worry about scratches...
and it's really not that hard. You just have to be careful about it.

Aljovido

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2008
Brooklyn
I know you have a unibody macbook, but something popular to do with the last revision macbooks is to 'Panda' them. Attached is my macbook.

If you wanted to case mod your unibody, it would be a similar procedure... except you however need to physically paint the parts. It would definitely void your warranty. Try the guides on ifixit.com, they are great!

If you don't want to take it apart, You may also consider silkscreening a design, you can buy a basic kit for relatively cheap.

Attachments

• CIMG7927.png
    CIMG7927.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 98
  • CIMG7929.png
    CIMG7929.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 135

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I know you have a unibody macbook, but something popular to do with the last revision macbooks is to 'Panda' them. Attached is my macbook.

If you wanted to case mod your unibody, it would be a similar procedure... except you however need to physically paint the parts. It would definitely void your warranty. Try the guides on ifixit.com, they are great!

If you don't want to take it apart, You may also consider silkscreening a design, you can buy a basic kit for relatively cheap.

Yeah like that is not hideous.

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
Yeah like that is not hideous.

First of all, sorry the panda thing is absolutely hideous IMO.

The company uses a plating technique, where they basically dip the parts of the laptop into a boiling vat of gold, silver, platinum, or my favorite copper, at least that is my understanding of the plating process. I understand how they make it work with the MBP's because they are made of metal, but I just do not understand how they would do it with the plastic. Thinking it would melt the plastic, but I don't know.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
First of all, sorry the panda thing is absolutely hideous IMO.

The company uses a plating technique, where they basically dip the parts of the laptop into a boiling vat of gold, silver, platinum, or my favorite copper, at least that is my understanding of the plating process. I understand how they make it work with the MBP's because they are made of metal, but I just do not understand how they would do it with the plastic. Thinking it would melt the plastic, but I don't know.

They only offer it for the MBP's but if they didn't there's a simple solution:
Die-Cast mould.

bsblvnv

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Las Vegas
They only offer it for the MBP's but if they didn't there's a simple solution:
Die-Cast mould.

Copied this from their FAQ

Products

What products can you customize?

We can customize almost EVERY computer or electronic gadget in the world. The specific customizations available for your product depend on the material it is housed in. Large plastic products are not typically plated due to the expensive nature of plastic plating however custom jewelry can be made for these items. If you would like to know the specifics about your item, please contact us to request more information. Below is a list of commonly requested items that we customize:

Apple:

iPod Classic
iPod Nano
iPod Touch
iPod Shuffle
iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
Macbook (Plastic and Aluminum)
Macbook Pro
Macbook Air (and Superdrive)
iMac (20" & 24")
Mac Pro (desktop)
Mac Mini
Apple TV
Cinema Display
RIM

Blackberry Bold
Blackberry Storm
Blackberry Curve
Nintendo

NES
Super NES
Nintendo 64
DS
DS Lite
Wii
Tmobile/Google

G1
Sony

PSP
Playstation
Playstation 2
Playstation 3
Microsoft

Xbox
Xbox 360
Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc.

Laptops (depending on model)
Desktops (depending on model)
Flat Screens LCD/TVs
Netbooks
If your item is not on the list, contact us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.