Macbook & Monitor Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ae212060, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ae212060 macrumors newbie

ae212060

Hi,

After reading quite a few threads and pricing up various options I figure you guys might have a simple solution..

I'm a Graphic Designer that's just recently left a studio environment where i was supplied with an iMac.
    I have an early 2011 MBP upgraded to 16gb ram and SSD with which I pick up any freelance stuff. I'm now looking to work freelance and need more than just a 13" screen to work from, I'm more used to running 2 displays. My work is not 3D or video heavy, so I don't need a powerful machine, but a good workspace is key.

I was considering getting a new iMac with the 5k display, but I am conscious that the MBP has had a hard life and could pack up, I need a laptop on standby and would rather pump money into a new one.
    So I've been looking at displays with the view to run alongside a MBP.. I've ruled the thunderbolt display out, its getting old and I want something new that will run alongside my new mbp/iMac when I purchase within the next year.

I've looked at a couple of Dell monitors that get good reviews. But the more I read, the more they are incompatible with my 2011 MBP? The two I was looking at are below...

P2715Q - http://www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/dell-p2715q-review/
    4K, so could run well alongside an iMac

U3415W - http://www.digitaltrends.com/monitor-reviews/dell-ultrasharp-u3415w-review/
    Looks great, would potentially replace 2 monitors and would be an entertainment solution.

Interested to hear your thoughts on running one of these with the 2011 MBP until I can get a newer model?

Cheers!!

2. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Your MBP can only drive a single external screen at a resolution of 2560 x 1600. 4K is definitely a no-go and I'm quite sure this ultra-widescreen display won't work either.
    It might be possible to add further (or bigger) screens by using a Thunderbolt dock, but I'm not quite sure about that. I'm doing something similar at work with my PC notebook and a USB3 dock (internal 17" FHD + 2 external 24" FHD displays), but since your MBP lacks USB3 this is not an option (don't know if this thing even has OS X drivers).

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yeah the graphics cards in your MBP will struggle with either of those, although it should run the second one I can't comment on what sort of experience you'll get.

To be honest I think the 5K imac is still your best bet for a great screen with the added bonus of a lovely powerful computer attached to it.

4. ae212060 thread starter macrumors newbie

ae212060

Thanks for the replies! You've just confirmed what I feared, there really isn't a compromise here. I'm continuing to research and the iMac does look the most cost effective, another positive is that I'm not constantly charging the MBP battery on a daily basis.

Thanks again.