Macbook monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macflurry, Feb 10, 2008.

1. macflurry macrumors member

So my friend runs into my dorm room and his pocket somehow catches onto my macbook. At the last second, I come into the room only to see the macbook flying through the air and crashing onto the floor. Let's just say that this happened relatively late, and I woke everyone up on dorm with the scream that came out of my mouth. I've tested it (it was on when it fell), and remarkably, the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is the monitor (the hard drive seems to be in one piece since it still boots up), which is totally useless at this point. My buddy, being the good friend he is, has promised paying for the repairs. Does anyone know how much it will cost to replace the monitor on a macbook? Also, I've had this problem with my superdrive (I've read that it has something to do with the software for it, I haven't been able to burn a disc since I bought) and I have been meaning to take it in, will this whole monitor thing void my warranty?

2. elmo151 Guest

call apple. have your bill of sale handy. ask those questions

3. macflurry thread starter macrumors member

I got the macbook in august, my phone support is expired, will I still be able to call?

4. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

What happened to the monitor, exactly? If it's a crack, it will be costly. If it's like a loose cable or something, you might be in luck. Take it to a local authorized service center that you trust or to an Apple store.

5. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

Do you have a 2.0 Ghz macbook?

6. macflurry thread starter macrumors member

Yep, 2.0Ghz Blackbook. And the monitor is physically cracked, nothing can be seen on it.

7. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Apple won't replace the screen for free even if it is under warranty, and the cost of professional replacement is also over half the cost of the original macbook price. I believe you can replace it yourself for about 250, but that would require a fair amount of technological ability to do properly. If you are having troubles with the superdrive anyway, maybe you might consider a new macbook with your roommate paying a chunk of it?

8. macflurry thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure there was a firmware problem with the superdrive on some macbooks that shipped and I'm trying to figure out if taking the computer back to apple will void the warranty so I couldn't get my superdrive looked at.