Macbook, monitors, and an alesis interface.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Klisk, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Klisk macrumors member

Hey guys. :)

I have this firewire audio interface: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8-FireWire-8Channel-Analog-Mixer?sku=630151

I plan to buy a pair of monitors for my macbook... But I was wondering, will my interface allow me to hook the monitors into the macbook?

I've never owned a pair of monitors before so I don't know how it works. How would I hook monitors into my PC, if I switch off from my macbook? I'm really confused about it. Would it always be through my interface?

Finally, is there any way to hook the monitors into my macbook so that it will play ~all~ the sounds my macbook plays back, and not just the sounds going through the alesis? Or would my interface do that by default, so I could playback music from my macbook and such? :confused:

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I don't want to put the money down for a pair of rokits only to find out I they won't work the way I expect.

Thanks. :)

2. banjomamo macrumors regular

you should hook your monitors into the alesis and not your mac. if you want all the sound from your mac you could run a line out from your macbook and into the console. but make sure that your audio app uses your console for its output or youre defeating the purpose of the console for monitoring. also youll want active monitors with that setup not passive.