Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I just bought a Macbook less than a week ago and it is mooing. I am doing light to medium work loads (mainly light) and it still moo's. It is a quiet moo but none the less at night when I am working and it is quiet, I want to throw the thing out of the window.....IT IS SO ANNOYING!!!! It doesn't stop either. It will do 50 moo's in a row. I don't know why it is doing this.

I know there are other threads and I have done my best to read them and try and fix the problem. I'm just pissed. Less than a week old $1500 and I can't get a computer that works correctly. Will Apple fix this? Will Apple give me a new one? Will Apple let me exchange this one? What are my options. I am so upset about this.

By the way, when I first opeend the Macbook there was a pen mark on the outer case of the Macbook (by the glowing apple). I tried to wipe it off with a damp towel and with my tshirt. I assumed it was a scratch and drove back to the apple store. The guy brought it into the back and came back and told me it was a pen mark they had just wiped it off. HAHA I tried really freaking hard to wipe this mark off. So much that I thought it was an actual scratch.....They "buffed" it out in the back and handed it back like this was normal.

I happily took it back and just thought, no big deal at least I have it and it works fine. So, now that it is doing this....I'm just fed up. I'm fine if they can fix it but even then I'm upset that they are shipping and selling these computers when they don't work properly.

Alright, So, what do I do? Please help. I don't want them to think I want a new computer but I want one that works properly....what to do what to do....

Thanks guys and girls

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
You should take it back and ask for a replacement straight away.

I'm guessing you bought it from a store and live in the US yeh? I'm not too hot on consumer law there, but over here in the UK if you buy online you have a 14-day grace period, so perhaps you have something similar there. Check out your legal options and then just tell Apple you know what you're on about and demand that replacement.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
mattjgalloway said:

Apple will not replace it because of the moo, i tried and they said no

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Recording of moo?

Could someone whose computer does this make an audio recording of it? I've been dying to hear this 'moo' ever since I first heard about it... (Mine doesn't moo that I know of; although I do have a little 'screen whine'.)

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
mattjgalloway said:

I'm guessing you bought it from a store and live in the US yeh? I'm not too hot on consumer law there, but over here in the UK if you buy online you have a 14-day grace period, so perhaps you have something similar there. Check out your legal options and then just tell Apple you know what you're on about and demand that replacement.

Yes, I bought it from the Apple store near here. You are given 14 days. But if you open it then you pay a 10% restocking fee. How am I supposed to see if the computer works properly unless I open it? It just doesn't seem fair. And imagine opening your computer and seeing a pen mark on it. Who the hell is writing on the new macbooks as they come off of the assembly line? ;)

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Yeh I agree the restocking fee is ridiculous. But I've heard of this in the US - I think that seems to be the way of things.

I can't really offer any more advice on what to do because I only know the laws of here in the UK.

Having the pen mark is bad enough to warrant a new one I'd say - you could say that it's 2nd hand because you have reason to beleive it's already been opened due to the pen mark. Maybe try going down that road...

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
The moo is "within spec." If you've got a compassionate mac genius maybe he/she will let you exchange it but mine wouldn't do it. I had two macbooks so far. The first one has an annoying loud moo but I was able to exchange it because it was defective in another area (apple genius refused to exchange it for the moo sound). My second one also moos, but it is much quieter. For the second one, the genius just told me the moo is within spec and normal.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
WillMak said:
The moo is "within spec." If you've got a compassionate mac genius maybe he/she will let you exchange it but mine wouldn't do it. I had two macbooks so far. The first one has an annoying loud moo but I was able to exchange it because it was defective in another area (apple genius refused to exchange it for the moo sound). My second one also moos, but it is much quieter. For the second one, the genius just told me the moo is within spec and normal.

Don't get me wrong the moo is quiet. But regardless, I can hear it and it is annoying. I have also had trash that would not leave the trash can and several programs have "unexpectedly quit". Not one of my other Macs have done this. I'm not saying any of this is happening so much that it is unoperable but I am saying this stuff is definently happening. The mooing is the thing that upsets me the most. It's just annoying. It goes on and on quietly irritating me more and more. The pen issue is a whole different thing. I should have been more upset about that but I was trying to be understanding and kind.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I say return the puppy and if they say its within spec just ask for a complete refund without the restocking fee. Apple has no right to charge you a restocking fee on an engineering defect.

My blackbook moo started after about a week, but I also got mine on the second day they came out. I would have figured they had nipped this problem in the bud by now. I reapplied the thermal paste with AS5, as many of us early adopters did, and the mooing will come back once in a blue moon but it is very hard to induce now. However, I don't consider this a viable option for most people and it really shouldn't even be necessary.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
brbubba said:
I say return the puppy and if they say its within spec just ask for a complete refund without the restocking fee. Apple has no right to charge you a restocking fee on an engineering defect.

My blackbook moo started after about a week, but I also got mine on the second day they came out. I would have figured they had nipped this problem in the bud by now. I reapplied the thermal paste with AS5, as many of us early adopters did, and the mooing will come back once in a blue moon but it is very hard to induce now. However, I don't consider this a viable option for most people and it really shouldn't even be necessary.

Exactly, it isn't necessary. I don't know how to open up my computer and reapply thermal paste. That's why I bought it pre-assembled. You pay a premium for the computer to be of a higher grade then dell and hp but they send it to you flawed. After 4 months of being on the market. I want an apple laptop. I will even spend more to get the better Macbook Pro....so that I won't have to worry about this. But, I'm just upset about the restocking fee. And I can't have it shipped off for 3 weeks because I need it. This is so annoying. I will call them this afternoon and see what they have to say.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
macdaddy121 said:
Exactly, it isn't necessary. I don't know how to open up my computer and reapply thermal paste. That's why I bought it pre-assembled. You pay a premium for the computer to be of a higher grade then dell and hp but they send it to you flawed. After 4 months of being on the market. I want an apple laptop. I will even spend more to get the better Macbook Pro....so that I won't have to worry about this. But, I'm just upset about the restocking fee. And I can't have it shipped off for 3 weeks because I need it. This is so annoying. I will call them this afternoon and see what they have to say.

If you can afford the upgrade to the pro I would do that, thats what I should have done. There are too many QA issues on the Macbook, my blackbook is also now peeling. If you go into the store just be firm with them, and I can't imagine them trying to charge you a restocking fee to upgrade. If they give you ****, tell them it didn't advertise on the box that there was a cow inside your macbook, ha ha. I'll tell you right now though, I haven't heard of anyone with the moo issue getting theirs sent in for repair. Its likely that this isn't even a hardware issue, its either software or firmware based, so Apple isn't going to be able to fix it short of releasing a firmware upgrade.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
brbubba said:
If you can afford the upgrade to the pro I would do that, thats what I should have done. There are too many QA issues on the Macbook, my blackbook is also now peeling. If you go into the store just be firm with them, and I can't imagine them trying to charge you a restocking fee to upgrade. If they give you ****, tell them it didn't advertise on the box that there was a cow inside your macbook, ha ha. I'll tell you right now though, I haven't heard of anyone with the moo issue getting theirs sent in for repair. Its likely that this isn't even a hardware issue, its either software or firmware based, so Apple isn't going to be able to fix it short of releasing a firmware upgrade.

I guess my problem is.....is it worth the hassle. It works great besides the fact that it MOOOOOOOS.....Apple knows about the problem. Should I wait for a firmware update? I just feel stupid accepting the fact that they are selling faulty products and I am going to see here and take it. I deserve a perfect product when purchasing a NEW computer.

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
macdaddy121 said:
I guess my problem is.....is it worth the hassle. It works great besides the fact that it MOOOOOOOS.....Apple knows about the problem. Should I wait for a firmware update? I just feel stupid accepting the fact that they are selling faulty products and I am going to see here and take it. I deserve a perfect product when purchasing a NEW computer.

Thats your call. But I got mine in May and its now August and Apple has probably known about the moo since a week after the macbook was released. As far as I know they have only acknowledged the whitebook staining issue. If anything the moo issue has been dismissed more often than accepted. Its not clear when or even if they will ever release a firmware update. For me thats a lot of faith to have riding on a $1500 device. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
will this work?

http://www.moofix.com/index.php

It seems like a good idea. My moo is very very quiet (my cow must be sick ;) ) (Sorry) but I can still hear it. I have to want to hear it to actually hear it....

Should I install this widget? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i say if it's that bad then take it to the apple store and see what they say. it seems that's all you can do (i wouldn't take the restocking fee hit)

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
twoodcc said:
i say if it's that bad then take it to the apple store and see what they say. it seems that's all you can do (i wouldn't take the restocking fee hit)

Is your new macbook mooing?

Mine just started yesterday and its faint but annoying. I don't want to cause a stink about something that they are going to think is "no big deal".

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
macdaddy121 said:
Is your new macbook mooing?

Mine just started yesterday and its faint but annoying. I don't want to cause a stink about something that they are going to think is "no big deal".

if mine's mooing i can't tell that it is. i don't live in a totally silent room (fan is always on, my imac's external hard drive is kinda loud.) but from what i can tell, it's not mooing

if mine was mooing, i'd probably take it back to the apple store when it was a good time for me (when there's no traffic, and i'm not working) but you have to decide how bad it is.

btw, are your speakers terrible? i read that they weren't very loud, but i didn't think it was this bad

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
twoodcc said:
if mine's mooing i can't tell that it is. i don't live in a totally silent room (fan is always on, my imac's external hard drive is kinda loud.) but from what i can tell, it's not mooing

if mine was mooing, i'd probably take it back to the apple store when it was a good time for me (when there's no traffic, and i'm not working) but you have to decide how bad it is.

btw, are your speakers terrible? i read that they weren't very loud, but i didn't think it was this bad

Yeah, the problem is that the mooing isn't that bad but annoying never the less. I can't help but think of how easy it would be to install a widget instead of taking it back to the store and arguing with a genius about wether or not the "spec" calls for the macbook to sound like a barnyard animal.

I am not impressed with the speakers. I had a powerbook a couple of years ago and the speakers on it would put the macbook speakers to shame. I think my next purchase will be a new set of speakers. I like my music....:)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
macdaddy121 said:
will this work?

http://www.moofix.com/index.php

It seems like a good idea. My moo is very very quiet (my cow must be sick ;) ) (Sorry) but I can still hear it. I have to want to hear it to actually hear it....

Should I install this widget? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks.

yes, try the widget, other people have reported that it works for them......so if it makes it go away then great, you're fixed!

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
Macky-Mac said:
yes, try the widget, other people have reported that it works for them......so if it makes it go away then great, you're fixed!

Great....it is working....no moo so far

Do I have to keep Core Duo Temp open to make sure the computer doesn't moo or can I close the core duo temp?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
i have the moofix widget and it worked at first but then then next day it started mooing again :( now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt....weird huh? but I know why the moo happens....it depends on the brand of the fan inside. someone here created a thread and said that there are two different brands of fan's that are installed into macbooks. one brand makes the moo and the other doesnt (he even swapped the fans out to prove that the moo does depend on the brand of fan). but i expect there to be a firmware fix just like the MBP....but it's long overdue....

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
bill4588 said:
i have the moofix widget and it worked at first but then then next day it started mooing again :( now sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt....weird huh? but I know why the moo happens....it depends on the brand of the fan inside. someone here created a thread and said that there are two different brands of fan's that are installed into macbooks. one brand makes the moo and the other doesnt (he even swapped the fans out to prove that the moo does depend on the brand of fan). but i expect there to be a firmware fix just like the MBP....but it's long overdue....

Thanks.

I think I freaked out a little about it. Like I said many times it really wasn't that loud at all, but it was the fact that Apple was shipping these things to people messed up. Apple will come out with a firmware update and all will be fine. Now my computer is truly perfect in every way. :) Thanks for all of the help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.