MacBook motherboard upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WalnutSpice, Jun 20, 2016.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I have an early 2009 MacBook 5,2 with a 2GHz Core 2 Duo and would like to upgrade it to a late 2009 or early 2010 motherboard for a faster CPU, RAM and I think they have an improved bus speed with slightly faster SATA speeds. Also with 10.12 coming out, my MacBook got dropped at 10.11. I am currently running 10.12 anyway, but I'd rather have the simplicity of it being natively supported.
    So does anyone know if the later white MacBook motherboards work in the 5,2? Again, mine is the early 2009, the last MacBook with the same design was the mid 2009 before the late 2009 was switched to the Unibody style which is the only thing making me think it won't fit.

2. thingstoponder macrumors 6502

thingstoponder

I'd imagine it would just be cheaper and simpler to buy a new (used) MacBook.

3. tsoump macrumors newbie

tsoump

If you live in US you may find in ebay very cheap and tested logic board at aprox. 30$. As you can see: https://www.amazon.com/APPLE-MACBOOK-2-4GHZ-661-4710-820-2279/dp/B00P7Q73UM

I think that this logic board is the max upgrade that you can make. After that the casing changes and the architecture is also different.
    You may also attend the differences between:
    - cable inverter
    - battery connector / slp sw
    - heatsink
    - maybe Ram (ddr / ddr2) and more...

Let us know if you find anything..

4. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Probably. I've just sank a lot of money into this laptop. Just bought a RAM upgrade to go from 4GB to 8GB right before Apple announced 10.12 would drop support. But now that I got 10.12 running on it anyway, I just might stick with it as is for another few years. My MacBook has also so far been my most reliable laptop