MacBook Mouse Button Mod - Split Single Button Into Two

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DC Studios, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DC Studios macrumors newbie

Has anyone ever made a mod for a MacBook where they have split the single click mouse button into two buttons and made the button click accordingly? This would help out when I'm in Boot Camp working with Windows. Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You are saying you want a MacBook turned into a Plain Jane Windows laptop?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

have you tried System Preferences >> Keyboard & Mouse >> Trackpad >> For secondary clicks, place two fingers on the trackpad then click the button?

Placing two fingers on the trackpad also works in bootcamp if you've installed the drivers that came on your Leopard DVD.

4. DC Studios thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have that setup now. Having to keep two fingers on the trackpad is a bit of a pain.

I don't see how a two button mouse turns the Mac into a PC but, whateva. I just need a better method because I do some heavy work in BootCamp.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

and by heavy work you mean games right?

Cuz I can't imagine that placing two fingers on the trackpad would complicate anything unless you needed to press two buttons at once.

Personally I find two finger trackpad gestures to be much more comfortable than another tiny button.

6. DC Studios thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I use a my computer for running applications. I use my Xbox for games. Computers are not made for games. End of story. I use Visual Studio which requires a decent bit of right clicking and this would just speed it up.

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

8. DC Studios thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the wireless bluetooth mighty mouse that thankfully supports right clicks but i can't always carry that around with me.

9. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Additionally, you don't necessarily need to do the more cumbersome (IMO) button click while 2 fingers are on the trackpad. Just check the box clicking and then enable the new option "tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" and eliminate the button clicking altogether. I'll take this over a second button any day!

10. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Seems like that would take more than a "mod"--like maybe a very-high-precision saw and some extremely delicate wiring.

Seriously, I'm with you. I don't think there's anything inherently "Anti-Apple" about two button (tho Steve seems to think he'd be giving Billy G a kiss on the left buttcheek). Would love to simply click on a right button to bring up a contextual menu, without any finger play. External mouse is one solution, when you're at home, but notebooks are meant to be "all in one."

Anyway, not holding my breath for a two-button MB...:(

11. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The guy is asking about modding his Macbook, not how to right click...

I would imagine it would be a difficult mod. You'd need to add a second button sensor. And the trackpads Apple uses are unique (to the best of my knowledge), it would be hard to find something similar to fit in it's place.