MacBook Mouse/Keyboard unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by netnothing, May 16, 2008.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So my Mom just got a new MacBook (the latest gen 2.4GHz) about a month ago. Been working great, however, today she had a very weird thing happen and I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this.

MacBook was plugged into power on the table. She went out shopping for a while, came home, saw her photo screen saver showing pictures as usual, and went to move the mouse to use the machine. Nothing happened. She pressed some keys....nothing happened....screensaver still on.

So she pressed the power button once and the screen saver stopped, and showed her desktop. However, still no mouse/keyboard. She hit the power button again and got the standard Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer message with the 4 options, but obviously couldn't select any.

She held the power button down and restarted the machine.

Everything came back fine. I screen-shared in and looked at the logs and saw nothing, no errors. Verified the disk, it was fine.

The machine itself wasn't locked up....just the mouse/keyboard.

We are waiting to see if it happens again, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had this happen to them before?

-Kevin

2. jocool5 macrumors member

jocool5

@kbmb

I had a similar experience with my macbook (2.2Ghz 2Gb ram) locking up on coming out of sleep. It would just sit there and need to be powered off via the power button.

If you haven’t yet there was a keyboard firmware update for my laptop, check and see if that has been done on the offending laptop. That seemed to fix my issues with sleep.

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

She's completely up to date on updates. I notice the only keyboard update from Apple doesn't apply to any 2008 MacBooks.

Hers wasn't sleeping though, just in screen saver. I told her if it happens again, to close the lid and sleep it, wake it up, and see if that fixes it.

Definitely one of those weird issues.

-Kevin