MacBook mousepad not smooth anymore

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by piatti, Mar 15, 2011.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

I have a White Macbook bought in 2008. It's mousepad is not smooth, so I have difficulty contralling the cursor. Solution?

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

The upper palm rests are pretty easy to replace and are cheap on ebay. If you have any cracking to the palm rest yo can also get this replaced by apple for free.

Im not sure if there is anything you can do to the existing trackpad.

3. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Is there something I can do to the mousepad itself? I was thinking maybe I should use sandpaper..

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

PLEASE do not do that! i will kill you personally!

get some detergent, and a chux, and rub away!

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yeah, sandpaper is a really bad idea. Just wash it, it's probably dirty. If you use sandpaper, you could ruin your trackpad to the point where it would never work again.

6. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

whitebook with no multi-tough?

well, those have a layer of paint (or something) over the trackpad and it wears out over time, i'd recommending buying a topcase, but for only the trackpad???

7. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah my blackbook had a crack in the palmrest, got a new topcase and it's amazing. World of difference in the trackpad. Maybe if you have any cracks in your palmrest you can take it in to apple and they will replace the whole topcase for free. :)

8. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Do you need applecare to get the topcase for free, besides the cracks?

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Nope. I don't have AppleCare, and I got it replaced for free because of the cracking issue.

10. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

same with me. Out of warranty for a long time and no q's asked.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

12. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

I got it replaced now. What other things do they replace for free?

Anyhow, the trackpad is still bad. I guess the old version of MacBook (2008)'s trackpad is not good in the first place, and not smooth.

13. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

You shouldn't even have to bring your MacBook to an Apple Store. Any authorized Apple Service center should be able to do it for free. If you go this route, it may get done quicker and the shop just bills Apple for parts and labor. I got the top case replaced on my MacBook this way. It's always good to check first though and make sure that the computer store is actually an authorized service center.

14. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

They're not exactly a candy store of free replacement options. You'll have to ask if you think there's something else you deserve a free replacement on. And, no, the trackpad isn't like glass, it's textured. That's the way it's supposed to be.

15. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

Whenever my MacBook's fan goes loud, I smell some kind of electronic fume that's kind of unpleasant (unlike the MacBook Pro which has a pleasant Aluminum smell). Would they do a free cleaning out?

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is along the same lines. Why are you asking me? I'm not an Apple employee or representative, and any info I could give you (that's not documented by Apple as well, which the cracked case replacement is) might be wrong. Ask Apple and you'll get an answer.