MacBook Multi-coloured Apple logo?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bakey, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Hi there folks,

Well my MacBook is well and truly outside of its warranty and I fancied the idea of glamming it up a bit through the replacement of a multi-coloured Apple logo on the lid enclosure rather than the white one.

I've an idea as to how it could be achieved; of which I've seen (somewhere) an iBook with a similar mod applied - the thing is I can't remember where the heck it was!!!!

Many thanks in advance and all that kind of stuff!!

;)

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I thought about this a while ago but the information on the iColours website, suggests it is difficult so thought I'd wait for it to be outside of the warranty. They sell the coloured patches and have instructions on their site.

3. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yay!!! That's the fella!!!! Thank you, it's very much appreciated... :D

Oh, oh!! - MacBook Installation = Extremely difficult!!!!

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It's actually pretty easy!!

Take a credit card/bank card, whatever, and put it on the inside (where the screen is, and slide it in. Put your finger there and slowly pull the bezel off. It will come off nicely. Then you just unscrew the LCD and continue with the installation guide on their website.

5. jay1097 macrumors member

A few of the members here have done it as well on the macbook. there was a thread in the picture gallery. They look really great BTW.

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I did it on my MacBook. I got my green film from iColours and followed their instructions. I was very nervous while doing it, but it actually wasn't too terribly difficult. I'll look around for the pics I've posted and repost them here. It's a cool mod.

EDIT: here ya go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a bit of a halo you might be able to barely notice in the second pic. If you decide to do it, cut out as little of the existing white piece as possible. I do recommend cutting it out, however, as the color looks a lot better when you do.

7. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

If you want a cool case mod, take the finish off! My son and a friend of his both did this to their iBooks a couple of years ago. They took the iBooks apart and used rubbing alcohol , i think, to take all the white off the inside of the case and then reassembled them. It looked really cool :eek: and like no other iBook. I will email himi to see if he has any pix and I will post them. Also, I will find out exactly what he used to remove the finish from the inside of his case.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Unfortunately this is not possible with the MBs as it is actually white plastic where as the iBooks were painted clear plastic. There are lots of cool iBooks out there.

9. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks folks - I've just ordered the "rainbow" insert; predictable and obvious I know, but I'm yet to see anybody else with an Apple lappy with one on-board!!

Oh happy days and it was only about £2.60 - uber bargain AND it's Friday!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah... :D

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

So did you order off that site given above. Be sure to post pictures of the process and how hard it was, you may push me over the edge to actually doing it myself. Although my MB is sort of on the way out so I'll get it fixed first.

11. zaney macrumors regular

I took a much cheaper method with my old MacBook, I had to take it apart to reapply the thermal paste, because I had one which had too much on, and it was overheating. So, I thought while it was in bits, I'd do a bit of modding, and took the screen out, and stuck two sweet wrappers, from which I'd just eaten the contents, over the apple logo, put it back together, and voila, purple logo (and cooler CPU).
    I have a MBP now though, and I'm damned if I'm dismantling it.

12. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup! Went ahead and ordered from that site right there... Should be here in the next couple of weeks.

I'll document the task and post accordingly.... :D

13. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

14. zaney macrumors regular

If you dismantle the screen and place the colour on the inside, yes. If you put a sticker over the logo on the outside, no.