MacBook: My Extended Review

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheOakTrail, Apr 17, 2015.

1. TheOakTrail macrumors newbie

Hi guys, after owning the MacBook for a couple of days, I have written down some extended thoughts about the device on my blog. I wanted to go into as much detail as I felt was necessary, and there should hopefully be some good tidbits in there for those of you who are considering purchasing the device.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.alexvking.com/blog/12-inch-macbook-the-extended-review

2. SBruv macrumors 6502

Hi,

Just wondering: did you try alleviating the UI lag by turning transparency off in Yosemite's Accessibility prefs? OS X UI animations even on my brand new rMBP are truly dreadful until I do that…

3. TheOakTrail thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried that, and that definitely improves things. It doesn't make everything completely smooth, but it increases the number of windows necessary for things to start bogging down. It's another indication that perhaps Yosemite is just too graphically intensive, or just poorly optimized.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

5. SBruv macrumors 6502

Sounds like it's the same as the rMBP then. No surprise there, I guess.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. newellj macrumors 601

Nicely done, and I appreciated some points that other reviews haven't made. For example, I thought the discussion of lag issues was very useful. One potential small point: depending on what you mean by pixel density, I think the rMB and the two rMBPs are for all practical purposes the same (within a pixel or two if you're looking at PPI). I hesitate to even mention that because I don't mean to be at all critical of a great job that obviously took a great deal of careful work. Thank you!

8. EnderTW macrumors 6502

9. TheOakTrail thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! And no, I'm very happy that you want to clarify. I am aware that the rMB and rMBPs each have screens between about 215-220ppi, and I hope that I didn't indicate anything else in the review, but it sounds like I may have. If there's a specific part of the review you that was confusing, point it out and I am more than happy to revise it.

10. newellj, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

It could be reader error. ;) On the other hand, reader confusion and error is foreseeable. :eek: :D Here's the statement I was thinking of:

"Now, it isn’t quite as pixel dense as other recent laptop displays, but I don’t see this as a negative."

I read the reference to "pixel dense" as PPI, and the Apple web site shows the following values for the laptop retina displays: 13.3": 227 12": 226 15": 220. I may be mis-interpreting the reference, though.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I believe you claimed that the rMB display is not as pixel dense as other laptop displays.

12. Golfer00ksu macrumors regular

13. magbarn macrumors 68000

Great review! Your review highlighted what I've been saying all along in the Mac Mini forums. Intel's IGP's are adequate for OS X, but continue to be horrible in gaming. The most current designs while technically are '50% FASTER!', are only going from an unplayable 12 fps to still unplayable 18 fps. The only exception is the Iris Pro with the crystal well cache seen on the rMBP 15 base model and base iMac 21. Here, the extra cache partially makes up for the crappy DDR3 bandwidth that's holding all the other Iris designs back. Hopefully skylake rMB will fix this with the rumored DDR4 memory upgrade.

My wife can't wait for hers!

14. FairArrow macrumors newbie

Excellent review. Your point about only having to unplug the single USB C cord from the MacBook really made me reconsider the single port. My rMBP currently looks like an octopus with cords coming from both sides going into 2 displays, an external drive, my iPhone, and the charge cord. Being able to unplug everything in a single tug would be a dream.

15. TheOakTrail thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see now! I had meant to point that out relative to other Windows laptops, rather than to other Macs. I'll edit that now. Thank you.

16. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

good review..

what i decided to do is to get a refurbish 2013 MBA and wait for a couple of gens and get the gen 2 or 3 rMB. :)

sadly, your review is right, this is awesome, but far from perfect.

17. newellj macrumors 601

I edited my original post to elaborate a bit. Tried to PM you but it seems to be turned off.

18. TheOakTrail thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, sorry about that, it seems like they were turned off by default. I really appreciate you circling back and pointing out where I was vague. I've edited the review.

19. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Quick question: are you running 10.10.2 or 10.10.3 on that rMB? Did you do a clean install of 10.10.3 when you first got it if it didn't come with it?

20. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Nice Review and Thanks for the comments on Lightroom. Very curious about that specific app for my traveler friends considering this mac for it's light travel weight.

Matching the right externals might be an issue, but it seems many companies are beginning to offer solutions.

21. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

Alex, thanks. This was terrific.

I have a 2011 MBP, which I'd like to keep as a back-up (still going strong!) but have wanted to get a lighter machine, and I've been wavering between the Air and the new Macbook. I determined to get the Air, wait for improvements on the Macbook (figure in the next couple of years) in power and with the one port, at which point I'd sell the Air. A knowledgeable friend assured me that kept in good condition, resale prices can be very good.

Then...then I went to the store yesterday; I wanted to see (and feel) the two side by side. And oh my, my very rational brain went away and all that was left was "pretty pretty pretty pretty."

Your review doesn't make it easier! Except for the fact that I don't like being the earliest adopter in general, and second, I wonder if the resale for the "first" Macbook 12 will not be so good in coming years, as newer models will likely offer more bang for the buck.

Looking the numbers, I ended up with this:

Air:

• 1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    • Intel HD Graphics 6000
    • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • AppleCare Protection Plan

$1748

Macbook 12:

• 1.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
    • Intel HD Graphics 5300
    • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • AppleCare Protection Plan

$1848

Which doesn't make it any easier!

But thanks again for your well-balanced take. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I really appreciate your perspective.

22. newellj macrumors 601

There's not getting around the early adopter risks here, but you knew that. ;) One thing to consider: the screen is the only part of the computer that I use basically 100% of the time, and the screen on the rMB is objectively and subjectively outstanding, better than other Apple laptop retina displays according to Anandtech.

23. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Quick question, when using OneNote, can you check your CPU usage and comment on how much cpu OneNote is using?

Thanks

24. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

You're not making it easier, you know...:D

I'm also someone who doesn't buy new product every year or so - it's all Apple, but I tend to buy for maximum use and then hold on for a while. Indeed, I never even thought about reselling until my friend mentioned that's how he supports his Apple habit.

And the screen was gorgeous, no doubt.

Yes. I still have no idea what to do.

25. newellj macrumors 601

Sleep on it? It's not that easy to walk into a store and buy one right now anyway...

It's gorgeous and incredibly useful. Two or three or four years from now, it may look very dated and limited? Hard to say...