MacBook mysteriously restored itself! Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Apr 17, 2007.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

Last night, I did my scheduled backup of my macbook, and changed some preferences in itunes, so that I could also backup my music library on a cd. Afterwards, I restarted my computer (seemed to be lagging a bit) and then after i put in my user name and password, the whole computer restored itself back to factory settings, however, my school documents and installed programs were still there. I couldn't find my music or photos. However, thank god for backing up my files every night or I could have been S.O.L

My question is: why did this happen? How can I prevent this thing from happening again?

Also: I just checked the amount of free space on my macbook, and I only have 28,27 GB of space free. What files can I delete on my computer that I wouldn't miss? Also, can I move my iPhoto library to my flash drive to save space?

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Did you change anything in the home directory? If so, you should check something like this.

3. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

I did. I added a space in between my first and last name, and yeah.. didn't think a little thing like that would cause such a problem.

Thanks!

Any ideas on my second question?

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I don't know about the flash drive question because I never used a flash drive before.
    For deleting programs, delete GarageBand if you are not using it, disable Dashboard because Dashboard can be a memory hog, delete iDVD if you don't plan to burn movies to DVD.
    For more information, check this guide.