MacBook - Need Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerry16, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jerry16, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

jerry16 macrumors regular

jerry16

Hey all, I'll try not to make this too lengthy of a post. Basically, I'm in the market for a new MacBook (Pro/Air/etc.). I already have a 27" 5k iMac, which I love but know next to nothing about MacBooks. I want a MacBook to supplement my iMac because I travel a lot for work and personal, and do photography on the side. I am busy enough with my side photography that when I'm away from my iMac, I fall behind on my editing/image distribution/etc.

All I really want to be able to do with this machine is use Photoshop/Light Room on an as needed basis - it wouldn't be my primary work station - so I'm not totally falling behind when I'm away from home for a week. I would still use my iMac as the primary workhorse.

All that being said, I don't really want to spend top of the line money on a MacBook when I already have a top of the line iMac. I just want a machine that can run Photoshop well (doesn't have to be blazingly fast, but not painfully slow), and has a clear display so I can actually see what I'm doing. I can live with a smaller display, but clear and sharp is important to me. Other things like an SD card reader would be nice, but I'm more than willing to compromise on that. Storage space isn't a huge consideration for me as I would probably only ever be working on a handful of projects at a time with it.

Does anyone out here have any suggestions on a Mac that will cover my bases adequately and give me a bargain? I was browsing the Apple refurb store and was maybe interested in that - I do like the MBP's listed with SD and CD drives - just am painfully ignorant on Macs and whether these are too old to run well.

2. Zapdoc macrumors member

MacBook 12 inch M5 should do fine

3. ag29 macrumors 6502

If you want a bargain and something with a big screen and a decent processor for running photoshop.

Get a refurbished older 15 inch mac (The one with a CD drive). It has a big screen and runs great!

If you want something a little cheaper, then get a refurbished 13 inch mac with a CD drive. IT will be slightly slower than the 15 inch, but should be good enough for running photoshop.

If you get them with an HDD however, make sure you replace it with a SSD. It will make a night and day difference.

You could also go for the refurbished version of the newer macs, it will be slightly more expensive but I would recommend the macbook air 13 or the macbook pro 13. You could also get the 12 inch macbook but keep in mind it only has 1 port so you will need expensive adapters depending on what you plan on doing.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I would reccomend the middle of the range myself the 13 inch rMBP is a great little machine portable great battery great screen good connectivity and will run almost anything to some degree.

Either wait for the new ones (the graphics upgrade may be worth it for you) or buy last years model refurbed or on a deal from somewhere. Probably not worth full price for the current model with new ones expected in the next few weeks.

5. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Appreciate all the advice everyone! Was looking at the 2012 MBP w/ CD drive, but am thinking the newer rMBP display might outweigh the CD drive for me. Definitely wouldn't buy new at this point. Think I'll scour Craigslist for a (legit) rMBP. Can haggle a little bit and save on sales tax that way too.

6. Fishrrman, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

Fishrrman macrumors G4

Jerry wrote:
    "Was looking at the 2012 MBP w/ CD drive, but am thinking the newer rMBP display might outweigh the CD drive for me."

If you don't require the use of the DVD/CD drive that often, just buy an external USB DVD/CD drive for about $25 or so and use when needed. I like Samsung drives.

Consider -- you won't use the CD that much, but you WILL be using that beautiful retina display 100% of the time!

7. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Yep, great point. Nothing wrong with a decent external for the occasional usage.

8. idoccurt macrumors regular

buy a four or five year old model....replace with SSD drive....cost you a about 100 bucks

9. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Found an early 2015 rMBP w/ 512GB storage and an apple mouse for $900. Less than a year old so still a warranty on it.

Seems like a good deal regardless of what Apple does with the Mac lineup this month. Obviously would save on sales tax as well. Certainly would suit my needs and seems cheap enough that I shouldn't be burnt by the new releases.

10. Tarek macrumors 6502

@jerry16 That seems like a pretty great deal, and I'd go for it. Just make sure the laptop is 100% by performing a hardware test and everything. I recently purchased a rMBP and am more than happy with it, and I am sure you won't be disappointed, especially considering the type of work you want to do. Just don't get anything less than 8GB of RAM!

11. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

That's what I thought too, regardless of the new Macs. I went for it. Everything checked out and is in great shape. A few minor scuffs on the bottom but nothing I can't live with. Beautiful machine and even better that I feel like I got it for a good price!

12. Tarek macrumors 6502

I wasn't planning on buying a new MacBook, either, but there was a website offering the latest models with a 20% discount so I just had to order it.

13. krazirob macrumors member

krazirob

I concur with alot of people on here.....I also travel and at times have to edit and upload pictures for my reports on powerpoint and I use the 13 MBP. It doesn't have a cd drive but i use remote drive with my desktop when I'm at home and I can access that CD Rom over iCloud.

14. jerry16 thread starter macrumors regular

jerry16

Hard to pass up these deals. That's what it was like with my iPad Air 2 - Staples had an amazing deal and I just couldn't pass it up.

That's a great idea at home. Hadn't considered that!