Macbook NEEDS Core 2 Duo to compete with Dell

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
1,642
0
I just priced out a system from Dell and Apple. Macbook is a bit cheaper, even with a gig of ram. Problem is: The Dell system I priced out has a Core 2 Duo at 2ghz versus the Macbook Core Duo at 2ghz

I doubt that Dell has Core 2 Duo's shipping (*Hopefully they do not!*)

Correct me if I'm wrong but some rumors that have been floating around state that the Macbook will not see a Core 2 chip, but will instead get a Core Duo speedbump.

For me, that's not acceptable. Keep up with all the other manufacturers feature wise or go back to PowerPC.

[/rant]
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
SC68Cal said:
I just priced out a system from Dell and Apple. Macbook is a bit cheaper, even with a gig of ram. Problem is: The Dell system I priced out has a Core 2 Duo at 2ghz versus the Macbook Core Duo at 2ghz

I doubt that Dell has Core 2 Duo's shipping (*Hopefully they do not!*)

Correct me if I'm wrong but some rumors that have been floating around state that the Macbook will not see a Core 2 chip, but will instead get a Core Duo speedbump.

For me, that's not acceptable. Keep up with all the other manufacturers feature wise or go back to PowerPC.

[/rant]
If it is not acceptable to you then you are perfectly welcome to either buy a Dell or a MBP. Your call. Besides nobody knows what's coming so why act like you already know what Apple's up to?
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,223
0
SC68Cal said:
I just priced out a system from Dell and Apple. Macbook is a bit cheaper, even with a gig of ram. Problem is: The Dell system I priced out has a Core 2 Duo at 2ghz versus the Macbook Core Duo at 2ghz

I doubt that Dell has Core 2 Duo's shipping (*Hopefully they do not!*)

Correct me if I'm wrong but some rumors that have been floating around state that the Macbook will not see a Core 2 chip, but will instead get a Core Duo speedbump.

For me, that's not acceptable. Keep up with all the other manufacturers feature wise or go back to PowerPC.

[/rant]
I rather have them not be competitive than seeing them return to PowercraPC
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,137
0
generik said:
If it is not acceptable to you then you are perfectly welcome to either buy a Dell or a MBP. Your call. Besides nobody knows what's coming so why act like you already know what Apple's up to?
Some people take rumor as fact.

There has been a few thread on this. My advice. Shut up until you know for sure Apple isnt putting them in there. Then you can whine, and buy a Dell.
 

Groovey

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
86
3
It's just me saying, but to me it really doesn't matter that much. The reason I like Apple's has nothing to do with the raw processor power, but the fact that the whole computer works as a package, not just as a Core 2 Duo processor. I don't mind people having 8GHz Core 5 Trio Dell's, as it would still be a pain using those. I'd still come back to my iBook which still does everything well enough, so that I still don't have any special need to upgrade. I rather choose a system that's working reliably and is well designed, than a one that just has all the new upgrades just for upgrade's sake.

Yes I wish anyway that they'd upgrade the MB with Merom before I'm going to buy myself a Christmas present. But even if they don't, it'll kick my azzzzzzzz.

What I'm trying to say is let's not worry. They will be upgraded when they need to be upgraded, but I don't see any reason why we should worry about PC's gaining speed on processors. It doesn't make our Apple's any slower and after all, they need it for the advanced tasks, such as virus scanners etc.
 

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
2,199
24
Charleston, SC
i dont think dell is shipping them yet, but at the end of the month they will, and I bet tomorrow we'll see the COre 2 Duos come to the macbook/macbook pro lines. Most people believe that Apple will be the first to deliver the COre 2 Duos to their customers.
 

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
1,425
180
Gravesend, United Kingdom
SC68Cal said:
I just priced out a system from Dell and Apple. Macbook is a bit cheaper, even with a gig of ram. Problem is: The Dell system I priced out has a Core 2 Duo at 2ghz versus the Macbook Core Duo at 2ghz

I doubt that Dell has Core 2 Duo's shipping (*Hopefully they do not!*)

Correct me if I'm wrong but some rumors that have been floating around state that the Macbook will not see a Core 2 chip, but will instead get a Core Duo speedbump.

For me, that's not acceptable. Keep up with all the other manufacturers feature wise or go back to PowerPC.

[/rant]
Bah. Wake me up when Dell are shipping Santa Rosa-based Core 2 Duos. Core 2 Duo's 'a bit quicker (for the most part)' and 'a bit cooler (sometimes)' than Yonah. Big whoop. The real interesting stuff will start in Q1-Q2 2007 when Intel's mobile platform (Santa Rosa) for the Core 2 Duo is released. Only then will the supporting hardware be in place for the C2D's enhanced power saving modes be used, as well as other interesting stuff like the flash-RAM (Intel's 'Robson' tech) cache for quicker OS boots and resumes.

So ease up on the hyperbole. "Go back to PowerPC" ... *chuckle*
 

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
5,699
287
Chicago, IL
Chone said:
I rather have them not be competitive than seeing them return to PowercraPC
Why would say that the PowerPC was crap? It's still an amazing processor that is still comparable to the x86 processor.
 

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
1,425
180
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Warbrain said:
Why would say that the PowerPC was crap? It's still an amazing processor that is still comparable to the x86 processor.
Well....

*whispers*

(The G4 was a bit poo, wasn't it? I mean, it wasn't bad, but it did bog us down a little, didn't it? Have you read this http://www.geekpatrol.ca/blog/138/ ... it's a pretty good overview of where we were and where we are now)

*stops whispering*

Was it OK to say that? Or is it still too soon ;)
 

Groovey

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
86
3
Warbrain said:
Why would say that the PowerPC was crap? It's still an amazing processor that is still comparable to the x86 processor.
At least Apple used those as well as possible, IMHO. Still works for me.
 

Groovey

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
86
3
displaced said:
Well....

*whispers*

(The G4 was a bit poo, wasn't it? I mean, it wasn't bad, but it did bog us down a little, didn't it? Have you read this http://www.geekpatrol.ca/blog/138/ ... it's a pretty good overview of where we were and where we are now)

*stops whispering*

Was it OK to say that? Or is it still too soon ;)
Haha. Never too soon, it can't be that serious. I'd still bet there's plenty of PowerBook owner's for example, who still dig their PowerPC's at least as much as people who own new MB's on Intel's. It's still doing it's job. As will the Intel's too for a quite long time.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
There was nothing wrong with the PPC, it just lacked enough sales for use in computers to make IBM/Freescale/Motorola willing to spend much on R&D to keep the chip current.

If Apple, Amiga, Linux PPCs were sell 100+ million units a year, the PPC line would likely have G5s and G6s in notebooks.