Macbook network connection falls asleep

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Feb 5, 2010.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

Have a Macbook connected to an Airport extreme. If I let the Macbook sit for 15 minutes the connection seems to go to sleep. I have the energy settings and sleep and screensavers set to 45 minutes. Any idea why there is a lag in connection time?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What connection goes to sleep? The one between MacBook and Airport Extreme Base Station, or the one connecting the AEBS to the internet?

Have a look at Airport Utility and check the settings, especially under the Internet section.

3. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

I have figired it out and it's weird.

The Macbook is located at the other side of the house. There are just enough walls that the connection sometimes drops but is always reduced. My primary network is 5.1mb/sec but in this location the downloads are 750kb. If I move the Macbook 5 feet to the other side of the last wall speed goes up to 4.5mb/sec. No matter what I do to the airport extreme or move it around I can't get that extra 5 feet of coverage. Ticks me off that I may now need to buy an Airport and use it as a repeater. I have checked my computers and it says I'm running 802.11N :confused: