Macbook: New 2.2, or refurb 2.16?!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djforge, Dec 25, 2007.

1. djforge macrumors newbie

Hello all, I'm dead set on purchasing a macbook in the next couple of days, but first I have a question that I'm looking for some opinions on.

I'm torn between a black refurb macbook with the 2.16 processor, 160GB hdd, and 1 GB RAM and a new white macbook with 2.2 processor, 120 GB hdd, and 1 GB RAM. With either purchase, I would upgrade to 2 GB of RAM myself. How much of a speed difference will I notice between these two units? Just for some background, I'll be using this laptop mostly for DJing (running Serato), maybe some audio production (not in garageband, most likely in Reason or Logic), and then just general use (internet, movies, mp3s, etc). I can get both of these for the same price with my EPP discount.

The difference in hard drive capacity isn't really a big deal to me, as the music I use with Serato is all on an external drive. The only thing I am concerned about is the ability to expand the RAM.

My impulsiveness is also starting to get the best of me, and I'm tempted to get the new unit just because I could walk to the apple store and grab it, and not have to wait for shipping like I would with the refurb unit.

If anyone has any insight, please help me out with my decision :)

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Either system would work nicely for you, but if you can get the new MacBook for the same price as the refurbished one, then I would recommend getting the new one. The new one has a slightly faster processor, faster front side bus, and the ability to handle extra RAM (not that you will be maxing either system out right away). :)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. jnash macrumors regular

x2

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

x3

6. djforge thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, thanks for the replies. I think it's settled. New MB tomorrow!

7. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Keep Us Posted :D
    New Joyous Mac Owners make me happy :)

8. djforge thread starter macrumors newbie

my bank wasn't open today, so I wasn't able to make my deposit and hence, no macbook today!

i hope they're open tomorrow!

9. djforge thread starter macrumors newbie

woo hoo! got my new 2.2 white macbook today

not impressed with my experience at the apple store though :apple:

10. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Congrats!

Oh, and be sure to start a new thread to complain about the Apple Store experience. I don't think I've seen one of those in the last 5 min. ;):p

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I would have gone with the Blackbook... there's nothing on the SR MB you needed and you would have gotten more style in the Black. But that's also subjective

But as a 2.2 SR White MB owner myself I say enjoy!

12. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the new Macbook lineup have the newer graphics chip set? I think they have the Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory instead of the Intel GMA 950 with 64MB.

So yeah, jump for the 2.2 GHz.

13. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Get the 2.2 with a max of 4GB of RAM. Think of longevity.

14. djforge thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to admit, I am a bit apprehensive about the white finish, i'll be using this thing to dj every friday and saturday, and then sometimes on tour where it'll be every day for two weeks

but I just couldn't justify the extra money for the black finish!

15. ivan1234 macrumors regular

i would get the refurb and pocket the difference.