macbook (new 2007) hanging constantly and trouble starting up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tulipfields, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tulipfields Guest

Hello,

I purchased my Macbook (111.86GB Fujitsu) in September 2007. Until the start of this year (2009) I have no complaints and been a very happy mac user, but since January it has started behaving very strangely. It "hangs" constantly even when I only have one application running. I can't even send an email or write a word doc without it hanging every few minutes (for 3 mins or so at a time), generally it will start running again for a while and then the beachball comes back and it simply won't stop. The whole thing freezes, force quit doesn't work and I have to force shut down.

I have been to my local Apple service centre and they say the hard drive is fine. But the problem is still there. Then when I took it back they did an archive and install and I've got Leopard installed. Ran better for about half a day and then the same old problem is back and it's deteriorated since. When I try to start up again after having to use the force shut down, it often will not start up and I get a blank grey page, or the circle with a diagonal bar through it. I turn it off again and try again, and again, and again, and eventually I get the apple symbol and some action.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm not a mac / computer expert by any means, but I'm also not an idiot. I have no idea how I can explain the situation to the service centre staff that will make them actually DO something. Can anyone offer any advice or point me in the right direction?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This sounds like a background application acting up, that starts when the computer does. Did you install any software around the 1 week when the problem started recurring, after the archive and install? If you did, I suspect some component of said software as the culprit.

3. tulipfields thread starter Guest

Hi there, thanks for your response. No I haven't added any new software that I can think of... Although, now that I think about it maybe I did an automatic Apple 'software update'. Could that have caused it?

What is a 'background application' by the way?

:confused:

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That's unlikely that a Software Update would have caused it. A background application has no user interface, and runs silently in the background, performing some task.

5. tulipfields thread starter Guest

Thanks for your help. :) I will try and check whether it is indeed background applications causing the trouble.