Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bklam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I have a really strange issue with my macbook. If i shut down my macbook completely, when i turn it on again, it says No Airport Card Installed. So i went to my shop and the guy said it was disconnected. So he fixed it.

This morning, when I turned it on again, it said No airport card installed again. So i called in and apple said it was a hardware issue.

So 5 minutes ago, i did a shut down and bam, the airport card is back again.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I have a really strange issue with my macbook. If i shut down my macbook completely, when i turn it on again, it says No Airport Card Installed. So i went to my shop and the guy said it was disconnected. So he fixed it.

This morning, when I turned it on again, it said No airport card installed again. So i called in and apple said it was a hardware issue.

So 5 minutes ago, i did a shut down and bam, the airport card is back again.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks in advance.
I haven't experienced anything like this before, but when you say that you took it to "my shop", was this a Genius Bar, or a reseller? And how old is the MacBook? If it is older than a year, do you have Apple Care? Because I would take it to the Genius Bar and show them, because a problem like this would utterly piss me off, I'll look around and see if I can find out if there is a way for you to fix this without having to take it in.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Have you tried booting with the Apple HW test and had it run through its little Diag to very hardware? Thats the only suggestion I have.

tennez

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
I have a similar problem and is that my mb pro does not pick any signal at all...i have the apple box to send it back, although im just waiting for the next update...

bklam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
we don't have any apple stores in vancouver, so when i mean shop it's Authorized Service Provider up on campus.

In terms of diagnostics, the hardware was not detected at all under about this mac-->advanced.

Also my mac is 18 months old and i have apple care.

The last time this happened was when i was calibrating my battery.

i tried to calibrate again this morning and it happened to me when i came back.

coincidence?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
we don't have any apple stores in vancouver, so when i mean shop it's Authorized Service Provider up on campus.

In terms of diagnostics, the hardware was not detected at all under about this mac-->advanced.

coincidence?
I am taking a wild shot here, and it probably has nothing to do with it, but can you try it with somebody else's battery for a day and see if it still happens?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Insert Disk 1 that came with your laptop, turn on your machine, hold and press "D" before the gray screen comes on. Keep holding it down and it will take you to the Apple Hardware test screen (blue).

bklam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
ok i did the hardware test and it said no problems found. I did it right after i did a shutdown and the network card disappeared again. But when i did a reboot, the card came back...

This is messed up.

bklam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
If anyone is interested, i've reinstalled my OS twice. Once without the updates, once with the updates and both times i've experienced the "No Airport Card Installed".

So i've come to assume that i have a wonky airport card.

uncleSmurf

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I've had that issue before...
ran the disk utility and then did a shut down and restart and cleared it up. So far so good.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada

coincidence?

Sorry it's off topic but: hey Vancouverite! Yeah... lol. It sucks that we don't have apple stores here. I really want one here so I can show it off to my friends and family to convert them to macs lol

bklam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Okay so i tried the disk repair.
Then i did a restart, and a shutdown. But the problem is on and off.

I think it occurs when the computer is shut off. Then when i turn it on, it's gone and in order for it to come back on, i have to repeat the process of turning it off and on.

Update:

I did another disk permission repair, restarted, and did a shut down. Turned the computer on again and the card was still there.

So i did 3 shut down and turn on processes and the airport card is still good.

I'll keep you guys posted.

This morning, i did a shut down, and it was gone again. So i'm saying it's intermittent and probably hardware related.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I'm having the same problem. I had to reinstall X11 today, and after a number of updates and restarts to get my system back up to date (the reinstall put 10.4.6 back on my system...), Airport disappeared entirely for about 5 or 6 restarts. I shut it down, took out the battery, and attempted to take the back off of my 18 mo. old Macbook. Well, I couldn't get the back off, but once I restarted everything was good.

I've had this problem in the past where the Airport card just disappears and seems to not even be installed, so I'm pretty sure there is something up with the card itself.

jakester2

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Monmouth, OR
I fixed mine! Strange way..... :p

I had the same problem on my MacBook. So I took off the battery and pulled out the RAM sticks.... They had some kind of white dust covering the connectors. ( i think it was ceroded) So I cleaned off the white stuff and put them back, once i turned it back on; the AirPort card worked fine! :D

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2007
California
I had the same problem on my MacBook. So I took off the battery and pulled out the RAM sticks.... They had some kind of white dust covering the connectors. ( i think it was ceroded) So I cleaned off the white stuff and put them back, once i turned it back on; the AirPort card worked fine! :D

Both my parent's macbooks had the same thing. I think its just chalk to make sliding it in easier.

PhilW

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Birmingham, UK
MacBook - No Airport Card Installed

My MacBook has just developed this problem.

It is a white 2.4Ghz machine, less than a year old. I upgraded the RAM two weeks ago and it's run perfectly since then. Yesterday, I was having a little trouble with Bluetooth (seems to be resolved) and today I cannot turn on Airport. I can't tell whether the RAM upgrade, the Bluetooth problem and the Airport problem are related but it does seem odd that they've all happened at the same time.

I have rebooted twice and still no Airport. My system profile can't see any Airport card.

Anyone got any ideas?

oc2pus

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Germany
I had that issue once on my MacBook 4,1 after I really messed up. I was working in Windows XP and wanted to restart, but shut down the lid and to hard reset the machine. Then OS X told me that there's no Airport card installed. A simple clean reboot did it for me.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
I've had this problem with my White MacBook (early 2006) and it was a hardware issue for me.
Every other boot, the computer wouldn't find the Airport Card.

I got the card replaced under AppleCare.

awhaas

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
I have a 2008 MacBook Pro and just had this problem tonight after having used Windows through boot camp for a few hours. Here is the really weird thing...in OS X it either says that there isn't an airport card (or it just won't turn on), but in Windows XP everything works fine. I tried repairing permissions, etc. but it didn't work. I turned the computer off for about 30 minutes and then everything was fine...I was playing a graphics intensive game in windows, which really heats my MacBook pro up...could the the card have overheated?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.