Macbook (no AppleCare) + Beer = No Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacbookSlow, Apr 10, 2010.

1. MacbookSlow macrumors newbie

MacbookSlow

About 2 years ago I bought a black MacBook without AppleCare. It was my first laptop and Mac, and last time I would put my computer near beer.

Late one night only a few months after my purchase I was hanging out with some friends drinking. We were sitting at a kitchen island and someone decided to set their full pint of IPA beer just to the right of my new lappy. I should have moved my computer right then but wasn't thinking. Within about a minute I made a hand gesture and accidentally knocked over the glass which spilled the beer all over the keyboard and even a little on the screen. We're talking the full glass with a direct hit. I grabbed a kitchen towel and tried to soak up the foaming liquid.

I thought my new computer had just been destroyed. The next day I spent about an hour taking off the keys, cleaning them in water, and cleaning the key housings on the shell with q tips - all of which was surprisingly easy.

Despite the incident, I never noticed anything wrong with the computer. The only change was a distinct sweet smell on the right side of the keyboard if I got really close to the keys, but even that went away after a month or two. Perhaps the combination of alcohol and warm computer made the water evaporate quicker or maybe they are designed to be spill-proof? I'm not sure, but I became a big fan of Apple after that.

2. bluskale macrumors regular

consider yourself fortunate... if you had damaged something and had applecare, they do not cover liquid damages, to my knowledge.

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Macbook + apple care + beer = macbook - applecare