Macbook no boot, error I/0??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kehauli, Jan 4, 2010.

1. kehauli macrumors newbie

I'm on a Macbook os x, last night after I powered off my mac; when I went to start it up again, it was stuck on the apple loading screen. After about 15-20 minutes, it just powered off on it's own. I've tried all the suggestions in related posts:
    starting from a cd - I got to disk utilities, whereupon I attempted a disk repair on my Macintosh HD. It couldn't be repaired, rebuilding btree failed.

I tried through terminal as well and it gave me error I/0 invalid node structure (4, 12585). And same via single user mode with fsck.

If I owned another mac, I'd certainly try through FireWire however I don't. All I have is an hp desktop that doesn't connect to the Internet.

At this point I don't think there is much else I can do to resolve this problem, is there? At the least, I'd just like to retrieve the photos of my children, I haven't backed anything up. Ugh.

I'd like to avoid taking it in, seeing as how my warranty is expired. Anyone have advice?

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

If the machine chimes when you power it on that's a good sign. If it gets to the Apple menu and just sits there it's usually your hard drive. If it was a logic board issue you'd have weird start up problems, i.e. no booting at all, lines on the screen, etc. If it were RAM you'd have a beeping noise when you power it on, and you wouldn't be able to boot into disk utility. The fact that you got into disk utility almost confirms it's a hard drive issue. Since the drive did mount so you could run a repair you could salvage some things off the drive. Best bet is to replace your HD, get a 2.5" external enclosure, throw your broken hard drive into the freezer and take it after a few hours throw it into the enclosure and see if it will mount on your fresh install of the your OS.

3. kehauli thread starter macrumors newbie

enclosure?

Thanks!

Let me get this straight though. I'm just switching enclosure? I'm using the same HD?

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

well you're going to replace your original drive in your macbook with a new one, reinstall the OS and then basically start over. Get a notebook hard drive usb enclosure and before putting your old drive into the feezer go ahead and put it in the usb enclosure and see if it mounts on your new machine. If it does grab as much stuff off of it. If it doesn't put the old drive in a zip lock bag and put it in the feezer, and after about a half an hour go ahead take it out, put it in the enclosure and see if it mounts now.

Good Luck.