Macbook: no Destination to select

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xNicolex, Oct 17, 2009.

1. xNicolex macrumors newbie

Hi
    well my mac book has been broke for a while, it use to just get stuck on the Grey screen with the spinning loading thing and not move
    i tried some stuff that i found on the internet, i cant remember what exactly but the reset ram or what no. i also put in the install cd but nothing worked

yesterday i thought id see if its still happening and i read someone say leave it loading for while, so i did and it came on to the install steps but when i get to select destination there is nothing there and the Options button isn't selectable

I went to disk utility, and when i was looking for people with the same problem a lot of people kept saying to partition but none of my buttons are selectable
    i can see my hard drive there and underneath i see the Mac OSX install disk but no buttons are selectable, not even repair

the only button i can click is Verify Disk Permissions and then it says:

Error: No Valid Packages

When i was searching for that problem people were saying my receipts folder is missing or corrupt, but i haven't deleted anything and i can't click repair so im not sure what to do

Sorry for the long post
    Thanks

p.s im not well known with macs so if you help can you dumb it down abit lol

:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Can you select the hard drive in the list on the left?

3. xNicolex thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah

its just once i'v selected it and go on one of the tabs (First Aid, Erase, Partition, Restore) none of the buttons in there are selectable, just the "Verify Disk Permissions" in First Aid

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Any chance you tried to install Boot Camp with XP Service Pack 1? See this and this for more information if so.

5. xNicolex thread starter macrumors newbie

Erm im not sure i don't think i did, it was quite awhile ago now. i know i tried using that parallel program that lets you use windows but i'm pretty sure it was well before it had stopped working

Thanks for the links, i tried the steps on the second link but still no luck

When i think about it, could it be something with the cd?
    when i do the Verify Disk Permissions on the drive it says:

"First Aid failed
    Disk Utility stopped verifying permissions on "Mac OS X Install Disk 1" because the following error was encountered:
    No Valid Packages"

and the cd doesn't eject, could that be messing it up or not

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not sure, but I don't think the install disk can be verified.

I suspect your hard drive has failed. How did your MacBook become "broke"? Was it dropped?

7. xNicolex thread starter macrumors newbie

erm no, as far as i remember i just turned it on one day and it just stuck on the grey loading page with the spinning circle

as i said it was like abit ago now so i can't really remember, and my brother sometimes borrows it so im not sure if he had it before it broke =/

i kept meaning to take to apple shop, not in my warranty no more thought
    just been busy and i just remember and thought i'd try it again and it got past the grey screen this time thats why i just thought maybe i'd find a way to fix it but doesn't seem like there is so prolly have to take it there