Macbook no firewire.....are you kidding me!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iphonesrq, May 25, 2009.

1. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I just bought a unibody MB yesterday....I just noticed that there's no firewire!
    My old white mb has firewire,...WTF?

2. budfoot macrumors regular

budfoot

you win the internet today...

well, except for the ron paul comment ;-)

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It was quite the surprise to everyone last year when the aluminum MacBooks came with no fw. A real show-stopper for some. The white MacBook has firewire and is very similar internally to the aluminum one.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Don't you do research on things that you spend $1200+? It was everywhere that this wasn't an included feature. You have to have a Pro model, or a white MacBook.

5. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

I never said this was new news....just venting!

6. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

i guess it was over looked....no big deal

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

When I heard this I couldn't believe it myself. Anybody know the reasoning? (Other than shaving off a half ounce of weight).

8. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

the only thing i use it for is backing up w/ time machine....it only matters the 1st backup for be speedy....like I said, i guess i overlooked but no big deal I really like it anyways

9. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess this is what I really would like to know too, cause I would have bought the uni or the white anyways

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Lack of use probably although there is a good sized niche of audio pro's like DJs that use it and, of course, people with FW camcorders. I use it for HD clones (for backup). It would be about 20% slower if I had to use USB so its not a huge loss for me (although I don't have a new MB, yet).

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

We're way ahead of you.

12. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

I just wrote up a post on how the motherboard has no room, then i went to get sample pictures to compare white to unibody motherboards, and i ended up deleting the post, because the white macbook really doesnt have any more room on the motherboard than what the unibody has.

The security port on the white macbook is further along the side, closer to the front to make a little more room but the size of the motherboard is about the same

Apple made a decision to leave firewire out of it, but hey, i dont use it and never have so i dont care. Id like some gtx260s in SLI in there though but thats not happening either