Macbook no longer detects external Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CookieCarol, Sep 6, 2015.

1. CookieCarol macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) and running Yosemite on it.

I had my MacBook unplugged and connected to an external monitor. The battery died and so the computer went off. When I turned it back on later, it wouldn't detect my external monitor anymore.

I tried restarting with the cables unplugged and plugging them back in.
    I tried opening Color Sync utility and system preferences and neither see the monitor.
    I tried rolling my mouse over to the monitor, but it's not there. Just the main one on the laptop.
    I tried plugging the monitor into another macbook and that works fine. So it's something on the laptop which is wrong.

If anyone has any possible solutions to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. Thesis checkpoint deadlines are fast approaching. *sweats*

Thank you!!

2. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Sounds like you tried some very good troubleshooting techniques. You could try the good old NVRAM zap and see if that helps:

Resetting NVRAM
    1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
    3. Turn on your Mac.
    4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
    5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
    6. Release the keys.

3. CookieCarol thread starter macrumors newbie

This solved the problem!

THANK YOU!!! You're the best! You saved my weekend, now I can get back to work.