MacBook No sound + Red light

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andromedaan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. andromedaan macrumors member

andromedaan

Dear macusers,

I've got a red light coming out of my MacBook 2.1's audio out and the speakers aren't making ANY sound. I've read lots of topics on this matter and I've tried everything that they said about penetrating the audio out, including:

- jiggling it with a toothpick
    - jiggling it with the back of a match stick
    - jiggling it with a paperclip
    - pushing it against the tiny little button for 10 seconds

The red light just stays on, unless I'm holding the toothpick against the tiny little button inside the audio out, but even then.. the red light starts shining again when I let go. And my sound never came back..

What to do ? Your thoughts are much appreciated :).

2. Thrnarg macrumors newbie

Try using some compressed air to clean out any dust in the headphone jack and keep trying the matchstick. If you get no luck there either the mainboard has to be replaced or your stuck with no sound or using headphones/speakers for sound.

3. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

That happened to mine in early Windows 7 testing but it was simply because there were no drivers for it at the time.

Maybe the drivers are corrupt or something?

4. Jonny6665 macrumors newbie

Help me!!!

Hey guys i have a macbook air and my problem is the same as everyone elses except that there is no red light and i have tried every method out there and nothing has worked. in the sound section of the system preferences there is no internal speakers to select for the output. If i cannot fix it myself i have to somehow come up with the money to buy a new for my parents, and i have no clue where i would get the money so plz someone help me plz.:(:(:(:(:(:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

5. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's the optical audio that has kicked in. Sometimes when plugging in a mini phone plug (headphones) the optical element is triggered when you unplug it. To fix this, try plugging and unplugging the jack with the headphone plug again to try and switch it off.

I can't remember if I also used a paper clip to help hit the sensor inside the hole to switch off but this is what's happened.

It should be simple enough without needing to open or take apart.

6. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The MacBook air however doesn't have optical audio built in. So that MBA might actually have an audio issue.