MacBook noise after upgrading Crucial RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Loudwater, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Loudwater macrumors regular

I upgraded my MB (the latest SR one) with a 2GHz RAM bought from Crucial. But ever since that, I felt the machine creates more of those "zip" noise than before, i.e. the CPU noise when I open an app. Is this common??

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Loudwater thread starter macrumors regular

Yes... I thought the installation was very simple.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It is. Could you have accidentally let some dirt or something into the machine?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. Loudwater thread starter macrumors regular

I would assume that's the reason... was just wondering if anyone else had the similar problem after installing the 2G RAM from Crucial...

7. rogair macrumors member

It's probably all in your head. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, then put in the old RAM and listen for the 'zip'. If it disappears, then you can blame the RAM. If not, then you have other problems (computer-wise :p)

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Do a little experimentation and then come back.

9. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

First, i just want to say that this is not a problem per se. The buzzing noise is inherent on all c2d processors, and even the core duo. Im sure its been talked about plenty, but its got to do with the power management in the proc. theres nothing wrong with it, its just annoying.

I would try some of what was mentioned, and see what happens. I know crucial makes very cheap and overall reliable ram, but some of the sticks i've seen have been very poorly manufactured.

10. opiumwillows macrumors newbie

All in our heads?

I thought I had exactly the same problem and noticed CPU whining/buzzing after I upgraded with Crucial.

I just try my old Apple RAM though and the noise is there anyway- it actually stops if I unplug the power cable so it must have something to do with that? Maybe it's the 240V we have in England or something- I notice that my plug sparks if I plug it in with the power already switched on at the socket so Apple probably haven't pain too much attention the 240V system... I'm just guessing though!