Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timbo-UK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
Hello,

Just received my macbook core 2.....my first mac.

Just wondering does anyone else with this machine here a very slight hum sound from the cpu unit under the keyboard when there is no background noise ie. the tv etc....i can only notice it when im using it at night with no background sound....just wondering is this normal?

thanks
tim

Timbo-UK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
That should be either the Hard disk or a system fan.

Very normal.

this happens when im not using the mac ie its just on the main os x page....a hum noise under the eboard....its not te mac fan sounds like the cpu fan.

also has anyone got slightly more noisier keys than others esp on the left hand side not as sof and nice to touch as the right side.

any commments.....just want my mac to be perfect

tim

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
I have a slight whining sound that disappears when I open Photo Booth. Do you have it too? I thought Apple would've fixed this with the new MacBooks. :(

Yaja123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2005
anyone getting an irregular faint tick/knock sound. like the sound of the second hand an analogue clock ticking - but only once every 5 to 30 seconds - it is irregular frequency, but it is consistent.

weird, only just starting hearing it. i have had my macbook for 6 days.

anyone? its quite noticeable either now that ive noticed it or its started happening..... :confused:

comes from the right/middle side, under the keyboard.

help, id hate for this thing to go back for repair.

its getting on my nerves now!!!

think its hd when its idle - so normal? i think i heard this on my pb so maybe normal.. anyone know what its doing?

isabel

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Timbo-UK said:
Just wondering does anyone else with this machine here a very slight hum sound from the cpu unit under the keyboard when there is no background noise ie. the tv etc....i can only notice it when im using it at night with no background sound....just wondering is this normal?

Mine is the same. I can only hear the hum at night or when I press my ear to the area under the F6 key.

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
i really want a macbook but these reports make me hesitant (so does the gloss) my 14" ibook g4 and g3 are fault free and silent

Its been a sad year for apple laptops :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.