MacBook noisier than it used to be.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by roisin and mac, Feb 27, 2008.

1. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

hi everyone,

I have had my little white Macbook (2.2 GHz 1GB) for about two and a half months now. I am worried because it doesn't seem as quiet as it used to be. Basically, so far as I can remember because I didn't pay very close attention to most of this right from the start, it seems to be getting noisier, more often. At first there would be hardly any sounds coming from it--only on some days, if it had been on all day (that means working, not in sleep), then sometimes in the evening it would produce this sort of loud whirring noise, like a plane taking off--louder and louder, but the few times (2 or 3) this happened, I just shut down and then booted up again and it was just fine <g> I asked the folks at the Apple store when I went there to get something else, and they said it was most probably the fan working a little faster than usual, and that I should just shut down and boot up again after a couple of minutes if it bothered me--so basically just to carry on as I was doing.

Lately however, this seems to be happening a little more often. Specifically, I had this happen a couple of times in the last few days (again, it stops if I shut down). Aside from that though, I also get this slighter sound, which I would describe as a sort of constant, low birring noise. A couple of times, this has escalated into a definite noise, not as loud as the plane-engine sort, but definitely something I can hear over the clattering of a keyboard and someone talking to me at the same time-- a sort of whine. So it's mainly the latter two kinds that are worrying me. It's really freaking me out because it seems to be doing this more often these last few days than it used to before, and now I'm throwing a hissy fit that my laptop isn't as pristine as it was (I know, 'duh! it isn't new any more, but that still dooesn't ease my worrying ;) )

I know that where you use the computer is relevant in these cases--I have been using it properly on a glass-topped table, or if I'm on the bed or the carpet, I use the white box the Macbook came in to rest the 'puter on <g>. I have to admit though, that I sometimes place it on a piece of soft cloth to make it easier to pull it toward me to type on the keyboard (when I am not typing a lot and just browsing, I keep it farther away to have the proper distance between my eyes and the screen). This cloth is actually just the greyish little sleeve the macbook came in, so it's pretty flat and not fluffy, so it shouldn't be shedding stuff into my precious MB's vents <g>

<Disclaimer :rolleyes:>
    Assuming I'm not just being paranoid--a very real possibility given that I Totally Dig this computer and reach a state of near hysteria at the slightest threat, real OR perceived, to its good health --assuming, then, I'm not nuts <g>, does any of this sound like a legitimate cause of worry? And if yes, what should I do to remedy the situation/make sure it doesn't occur again etc?

Thanks, and I appreciate your reading 'til here--you guys have a great community here, and are most friendly to silly newbies, so I thought I'd post here. Because, you know, I can't be going to the Apple Store again <cough> hehe;)

2. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone?

I know it's a long post, and I apologize for that--I just wasn't sure how to describe the sounds. I would still love an answer though, if you would like to give one.

Thanks a lot!

roisin

3. Italchef macrumors 6502

Hi Roisin;
    I'd take it in to have it looked at, but in the meantime I was reading a thread yesterday about someone who had a fan issue that was running amok. It turned out that there were outstanding print jobs to a printer that wasn't connected to the network. For some crazy reason, the poor mac was going nuts trying to complete the job. I don't know if this applies to you, but I thought that I'd throw it out there.

Mick

4. drstauffertnd macrumors newbie

Print Jobs as a possible cause

Hi Roisin
    I'm the guy that Italchef wrote about with the print job causing higher fan speeds. Since discovering this glitch, I have repeatedly created this situation and watched my CPU processor % usage climb to 100% and the fan speed rise to 6000 rpm with temps reaching 80 C in a matter of a few minutes. If you open the Activity Monitor program in the Utilities folder of Applications and in the header of the Window select either "All Processes", "Other User Processes", or "Active Processes" from the scrollable tab (other listing selections didn't show the "PrintJobMgr" process, you should be able to see if there is a process that is heavily consuming CPU activity. In my case, the non-processed print job almost immediately consumed 100 % of my CPU and caused the temps to rise and the fan to speed up. I found it strange that this lone small print job which sat unnoticed for about 2 months with no ongoing print monitor warnings or jumping icon in the dock could have been lurking so stealthily and have created this problem. Anyways it did for me, and it may be your issue. Let me know if this procedure helps you identify the cause of your newer fan speed noise issue.

Kurt

5. roisin and mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread, I had been going a little crazy there for a wee while! I may not have answered immediately (been busy helping to clear out a room at an older relative's so they can hire someone to come in at nights to look after them), but I definitely saw your answers soon after you posted, and read them with great interest. I think I will take Mick's advice and take it in to be looked at; the clearing out job should be done by the end of the week and I'll take the Mackie in to be looked at then. It isn't doing it so much just right now (only the lower hum), so I feel reasonaby safe putting it off a few days. that way, I'll get to have time to set up Time Machine and back up--they ask you to do that before taking it in, so might as well set up Time Machine as well while I'm at it!!

Kurt, thanks for the extra details--I had seen your thread too, but I'm not sure it could be that, because I think I've printed anything i had told it to print. If it does the really loud noises again though, I'll go straight to Activity Monitor now I know the trick ;) and check it out. I guess that's another good reason to wait a few more days--gives it opportunity to do it again if the fancy takes it :)

Thanks !! I'll keep you posted :cool: