Macbook Noobie Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wessex, Mar 17, 2018.

1. wessex macrumors newbie

How do I look at something online e.g. timetables etc without it automatically downloading, and when I open an app it disappears to the right of the screen and I have to click the app again to make it appear again? tia for any help :)

2. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

Depends on the web browser (Safari for example) you are using. The timetable is probably in the .PDF format. That means that you browser must have a pdf reader built-in and enabled. Safari, Firefox, Opera and Chrome should all have that by default.

Documents in most other formats (.doc for example) usually must be opened outside the browser (like in Word or Pages).

What type of document are you trying to open?

Does this happen to all apps? Does it happen when you press the green symbol in the top-left? Most apps will go to fullscreen when you press the green symbol by default. You can hold down the option(alt)-key and press the green symbol to just maximize the window without going to fulscreen. You can also swipe with three fingers on your trackpad to switch between fullscreen windows.

3. wessex thread starter macrumors newbie

The document is a word doc that opens with pages by default, after it has downloaded, it doesn't do this on my iphone with safari.

The app is when it is opened from the dock, it opens on screen then goes off the screen stage right v.annoying

thanks for the reply superspeed500

4. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

Safari for iOS do have a built-in ability to open Word-documents in the browser while computer browsers do not have this option. There is no way to show Word-documents inside any computer browser as far as I know. You must download the document first. It's the same way in Windows and Linux too. You might want to configure Safari to prompt before it downloads anything.

Some apps remember the last fullscreen state. iTunes is one example. It will re-open in fullscreen if you closed it down in fullscreen. You can minimize a fulscreen app by clicking on the green icon that will appear top-left if you move your cursor to the top. I can create a quick video showing how fulscreen in macOs works if you need.

5. wessex, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

wessex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I know how to use the red/green/yellwow buttons, using "bring all to front" from the window tab seems to allieviate the issue temporarily.

6. Longkeg macrumors regular

When you're "looking at something online" you are downloading it. You may not always realize it but that data needs to get on your device, if only temporarily, for the browser or app to process it. On iOS devices this happens invisibly. With the Mac you have more options. Pages will let you do more with a .doc than iOS Safari will. If you have Word installed you can do even more. The Mac assumes that you might want to do more with the file than just look at it so it downloads it for you. It assumes this because you're using a full on computer. If all you wanted to do was look at the file it (Apple) assumes you would probably just use your phone. If you don't want to keep the file just put it in the trash. That's what your iPhone does, it just does it without you realizing it.

7. wessex thread starter macrumors newbie

That doesn't help :D

8. Longkeg macrumors regular

OK... Sorry about that. Perhaps an appointment with an Apple Store genius would be more helpful. I've had some experience troubleshooting new Mac user issues and a forum such as this is not the ideal venue for this type of thing. Demonstrating the issue to an experienced user is often the quickest way to a resolution... if a resolution is possible.

9. wessex thread starter macrumors newbie