MacBook not able to read AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacBook08, Dec 14, 2008.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

For some reason, when I click on my AirPort Extreme in AirPort Utility on my Aluminum MacBook, it says "reading the airport extreme configuration" for an extremely long time before it tells me that it is unable to. I don't know what's wrong with it. Everything works just fine; it just won't let me look at its settings. I used to do it all the time on my PC with no problem. What's wrong?

Oh and one more thing, is "fast ethernet" the same as "gigabit ethernet?"

2. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    I don't know about the answer to your first question, try restarting it, or click manual setup.

but about the 2nd question, the fast ethernet is the older version, it is slower, but the newest version of the airport is gigabit ethernet and it has gigabit ethernet.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried connecting to the router via wired?

Also the terms Ethernet refers to just 10Mbps, Fast Ethernet is 100Mbps, and Gigabit Eithernet is well 1000Mbps.

4. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

I got it working by resetting the router. Apparently, the router can only be configured with one computer. I guess it was still configured with my old PC. Well, gigabit ethernet would be nice for the desktop but I spend most of my time on the roaming around with the laptop so I'm happy with "Fast Ethernet"

One more question for you all. I've been looking up multicast rate and I was wondering what would be a good setting for it. 1, 2, 5.5, or 11. I live in a 3 bedroom, 1 story house so I'm not really concerned about range as much as I am about the microwave and the phone right next to my AirPort Extreme Base Station. Is 5.5 a good rate? My brother has a Toshiba. Will 5.5 work with the Toshiba? Should I just go with 11? Does it really matter? Thanks.